/dist/images/branding/favicon

Contour mapping

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Derek Cooper, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Hi,

Does anyone have experience contour mapping land with their drones?

We have been approached to do this type of work and just in the information gathering stage at this time. I am doing research to see what is involved (equipment, expertise, etc.). Appreciate it.

2. Derek Cooper

Well this topic sure is a hot one! ;-)

Anyone flying with Lidar under their drones?

3. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

A quality Lidar unit is around 70k, comes in around 700-1000g and will need to be paired to a camera that can do LIDAR in. Don't try to make your own or use a cheap LIDAR, as it will just do more harm then good (tried it, was a total waste of time).

That being said LIDAR is not that important, just good software. I use a pair of 3DR aeros for all our land surveys with modified A6000's and get great results. Unless they want to do volumetric analysis LIDAR is just not that important (I do this for mines all over, its a pain and very time consuming, we also rent the unit as it is not that big of a demand unless they are getting audited). The other thing is you will need to get a decent decimeter accurate GPS for your start point (sorry, your drone isn't accurate enough) and some GIS software. You will need to geotag every photo manually, unless you camera can take data out from the kopter, which MK does not do but 3Dr does (certain cameras), or your camera has a GPS function (You will need to move at less then 25cm/s for a camera GPS to be accurate, and that data needs to be spot on or you will be doing a TON of manual work making the map).

Land surveying is a pain and the industry is not forgiving. I would advise getting a 3dr rig for any surveying you want to do, A nice trimbal GPS, GIS software from Trimbal is good too, A7R is about the best land-survey camera out there with 4.6nm pixels (at 150 ft this gives a 2cm ground resolution), the Phase ONe IXu is good too and hooks straight into most LIDAR systems, but the cost of just the Camera and LIDAR is in excess of $150,000.

You will also be competing with manned aerial survey companies, and they report UAV guys to the FAA almost faster then you can say administrative injunction.

4. Derek Cooper

Ryan - no FAA here. Transport Canada is very clear and flying drones is fine if you comply with the rules and file your flights with them.

Found the LidarPod from these folks:

www.routescene.com

But they run into the CDN$170k range very quickly. Seems excessive.