/dist/images/branding/favicon

Connecting to iOSD

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Andy Post, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Hey Thrill Seekers,
    I'm building an X8 system and have a newbie question about running the video signal through the DJI OSD.

I was assuming I'd mount my HDMI to Av converter on the Movi Gimbal, and was also thinking that the transmitter that sends the image to the ground would be mounted there as well to eliminate any cables running up to the UAV that might tangle as the gimbal rotates. Then it dawned on me that the OSD will be mounted up there and that the video signal has to pass through the OSD to have the data overlaid on the image.

I'd love some advice from the more experienced members of the community. Do you mount all the converters, transmitters, iOSD etc to the UAV and just run a thing HDMI cable between gimbal and body? Or do you mount only the converter below and have only two thin AV cables run to the OSD?

Love some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

2. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

We have a couple Cinestars on DJi and take a little different approach. Since the OSD data is really for the pilot, we use one small camera mounted on the frame that feeds into the iOSD to send a pilot camera feed with OSD data to the ground. The pilot can use it for visual orientation when that is helpful and more importantly the pilot has all the telemetry information on their monitor.

On the gimbal we send the camera feed (which is really just for the camera operator) to a separate video transmitter - mounted on the Movi - which does not need iOSD info put over it. For the camera operator we want to give as clean of a feed as possible. OSD data would just be a distraction and could possibly cover up an important detail being filmed.

If the pilot wants both the iOSD and the camera feed, just run two monitors. We use the pilot camera and OSD info on 1.3 and the camera operator on 5.8. Works well for us. We leave a monitor on a stand at the pilot's eye level with the OSD info it and use a Secraft tray for the transmitter and the camera feed.

Good luck!

Ozkan Erden likes this.
  3. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Well that was simple. It has the added bonus of making a lot of sense. What brands do you use for the 1.3 and 5.8GHz Transmitters?

4. Michael McVay

The 1.3 has been bought from ReadyMade, GetFPV or Quadrocopter in the past. Not sure on the brands - they all look the same.

The 5.8 we use is Iftron. I have always been really happy with their products. They cost more, but I think it is worth it.

As a side note, Iftron now has some new 1.3 products and some new 5.8 products too. I think both have a connection on the back of the transmitters to use the standard DJI ribbon cable to pass all the power and signals through to the transmitter. It certainly makes wiring easy and clean. Their new 5.8 is the WattZilla and is 2.5 watts and the size of the previous 500mw.

5. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Thanks a zillion. You have made my day so much easier.

6. Michael McVay

No problem. Good luck with it all.

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I use a slightly different approach, as I'm a huge fan of 1.3gHz. I use 1.3gHz transmitters on both the copter and the MōVI. One is on 1258gHz with a LHCP antenna, and the copter (with the OSD) with a 1280gHz and RHCP antenna. I use a VAS antennae for everything. Their new "Airblade" models are great. This gives me some redundancy, as I can easily switch things up in the field if one part of the link goes bad for some reason. I find using 2 RX and 2 TX units that are interchangeable is a huge advantage over the separate frequency technique.

8. Thijm le Grand

Recently bought this Anysense controller. Its using Dji telemetry via Graupner Hott.
    Plugs directly in the CAN bus. It’s cheap and easy to use.

Graupner Hott, Futuba, Jeti, Mavlink FrSky sensors

http://anysense.de/produkte/anysense-telemetrie-modul/
    Atm it works on Phantom 1 & 2 , Naza v1 & v2, Wkm (fA2 not yet. should be next month)

Attached Files:

Steve Maller likes this.
  9. Jay Pearl

Jay Pearl New Member

HI Guys,
    I'm wondering if anyone fly with IOSD or IOSDmini with Wookong-m on firmware version 5.14?
    I'm on this firmware which isn't newest one but works great for me and seen some info that iosd need at least 5.16 version.
    Anyone have some experience with it?

10. Michael comissiong

Hi I have the same combo as you , works fine no problem wkm ver5.14 seems the most stable . if it aint broke don't fix it.

Jay Pearl likes this.
  11. Jay Pearl

Jay Pearl New Member

Thanks Michael,
    Very useful info.