/dist/images/branding/favicon

Compass Error

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Markus Mueller, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Markus Mueller

Hello everybody,

my M15 shows "compass error" in the app. It tunes up without problems, balance is fine and I checked all cables. What's a little strange - when I take the gimbal from the dock, the error sign goes green and it stays at "compass good".

Did anyone have the same problem ?

Best Markus

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Markus: Is this true regardless of where you have the dock placed? Where I'm going with this is to wonder what the magnetic field around the dock might be -- is it near any sources of electromagnetic interference. If you move the dock outside and away from structures does it still happen?

Andy.

3. Markus Mueller

Hi Andy,

thanks for your reply. You're right - I didn't test that, but it was the same place in my office where I always tune up, and nothing changed in the room. And - it disappears in seconds when I get it out of the dock. I've moved the c-stand about 2 meters left/right but it still came up.

Best Markus

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well, I have a deeply suspect working theory that the magnetic field in your office might just be issue and that somehow the dock is making it worse....note the all-important "somehow" in my theory! :)

Andy.

5. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

We get this often as well.

After we move it around a bit, it usually becomes green.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's interesting, Ben. Any sort of common factor as to where you are when this happens? As in, anything that might mangle the Earth's magnetic field (inside buildings, near large metal objects, near concrete structures with rebar embedded in them, near electrical devices or cables carrying/using large currents)?

Andy.

7. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Happens on all sorts of locations outdoors. Also, when we are inside the workshop.

Our M15 also often boots in a very odd way. The unit rolls slowly all the way to it's maximum roll position, and then slowly back to level.

It's quite disconcerting.

I sent a video to Freefly and we did a full reset and a bunch of other things they requested. It still does it.

I figure that it's just new technology, and that there will be bugs and gremlins.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the info, Ben. Yeah, the Earth's magnetic field is not very strong when compared to human-made magnetic fields, I'm afraid -- so the compass errors I can more easily explain than the other oddities you describe.

Andy.