/dist/images/branding/favicon

Comm Port Setting with Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Michael Koff, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

Hi all,
    I went out and bought a little PC (soooo hard to do as I'm a loyal Mac user) last night solely for Radian and Koptertool, however I am having little luck in getting it to connect. I tried finding port setting through device manager to change the port settings to 10, as Radian specifies. The entire CommPort tab isn't there. Everything else is there, but no comm ports. Even when I do a search I can't find it. Anyone got any info on how to get this setup correctly so Radian connects?
    Thanks!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The COM ports will only appear in the Device Manager when you have a USB device connected up and masquerading as a COM port.

With Windows 8, when you connect up the USB cable and the MK USB adapter, the appropriate drivers should be loaded automatically and you should hear the windows "bong bing" tone to indicate that the device has been installed. Are you hearing that?

As to setting the port number, -- but you will have to get the COM port in the Device Manager.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

3. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

Hi Andy,
    I do hear the Bing Bong, however no comm drivers appear in the device manager. I will post what exactly I'm seeing in a bit when I can get in front of it again...
    Also, do I need internet do do this? I assume I should have Radian modules powered up as well, before plugging in USB to PC?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Michael: Hmmm. Sounds like Windows 8 has a problem, but without getting my hands on the machine it's hard to say.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure you should be connected to the Internet so that Win8 can download appropriate drivers from Driver Heaven (or wherever it gets them from!) :)

You *only* need to have the USB cable connected to the MK USB adapter -- no Radians -- to get the COM port to come up.

What I'm not sure of is, given you've connected it up once, whether or not you need to delete some drivers for some "other" device. Can you post a screen shot of the Device Manager's screen after you've tried connecting the machine to the net, and inserting the USB cable and MK USB adapter, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

5. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

Yes sir, I'd be happy to. I have never gotten it connected before...you mentioned 'given you've connected it up once', unless your talking bout the internet, not Radian.
    Anyway, I'll take a screen shot of Device Manager once I connect the USB to PC and MK adapter.
    hmmm, how do you screen shot on PC?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

7. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

OK, just plugged in the USB with internet connection and it recognized there was no driver installed, so I allowed it to search internet to install needed drivers and Yahtzee, it worked. It defaulted to COM3, so I went in and switched to COM10. I am unable to plug into Radian to see if it can connect as its not in front of me, but I assume now, I just plug the connector into the radian module, power up gimbal, and open radian stabilizer software to connect, am I close to the correct order of operations? Thanks Andy.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You're correct, Michael. :)
    Remember you have to plug into each Radian in turn -- you cannot "talk through" one Radian to another.

Andy.

9. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

Thanks Andy, will update tomorrow with outcome

10. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

Hi Andy,
    Everything worked like a charm last nights with getting Radian to connect and make changes. One more question, can I only access Radian when I have internet connection, or is the internet only needed to get the com port drivers installed? Reason for asking is this morning I hooked it up again (this time w/o internet connection) and Radian wouldn't connect...
    Thanks Andy

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

No Internet connection required once you have the drivers, Michael.
    The connection with the Radians can be a bit finicky sometimes -- did you see both LEDs on the MK USB adapter board flashing?

Andy.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Also double check in Device Manager that the COM port is (a) still there and (b) is still port 10.
    Then just try two or three times.

Andy.

13. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

The port is still there, and the device is still recognized as Com Port 10, when I plug it in, I get one green light (solid), and a flashing orange light for a few seconds, then the orange goes out and I just have the one solid green light...

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. Well, as one says around Windows far too many times than you should have to: "it should be working."
    I presume the symptom therefore is that you cannot make contact with the Radians via the Radian software? Does this happen on each of the Radians on the gimbal?

Andy.

15. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

Hey Andy,
    So its been a few days and Ive tried multiple times to connect to Radian Software and still nothing. All looks right with Comport Settings and all that, worked great a couple days ago when I first connected. Doesn't matter which module I'm trying to connect to...having no luck.
    Only thing I haven't tried it to connect WITH internet connection, but as you mention earlier, once the comport drivers are installed, internet isn't needed...anyway, I'll see if I can connect once I have my LTE around again...

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Michael:
    That's very odd. I've no idea why an Internet connection would be required -- but, given that's the only thing you've not tried and it worked last time, if I were you I'd try it just to see.

Andy.