/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cold weather- magic gloves anyone?

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Tim Joy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Over the years I have tried various techniques to keep the fingers from going numb in the cold. The best solution I've found has been to use a transmitter mitt, and thin gloves with the chemical hand warmers in each glove under the wrist where the veins are.
    It works OK, but I'm still searching for those magical gloves that are 1. warm, 2. thin, 3. give a good feeling on the sticks to retain dexterity, 4. without getting caught in the velcro hook side!

Anyone found these magical gloves? I will pay anything. :)

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Try these photographer's gloves -- the forefinger and thumb ends fold back and have embedded neodymium magnets (don't wear them for compass calibration), but with the chemical hand warmers they're magic.

They're pretty widely available on the net....

Andy.

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I think the fold back part would get caught on the sticks when I reached for a switch. Have you tried them?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yes, I've flown with them several times -- the fold-back part is behind your finger and thumb and doesn't flop down to interfere with the sticks unless you were to rotate your hand around. Do you fly "thumbs on top of sticks" or "sticks between forefingers and thumbs?" I do the latter, and it doesn't seem to be a problem (yet!)

Andy.

5. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

6. Colin

Colin Member

7. Benjamin Rowland

On a recent shoot in Maine (cold), I took a pair of fleece gloves and cut the thumb tip so I could feel the sticks. That worked pretty well.

8. Jon Fredericks

This worked for me too, although with both thumb and index finger exposed. I was able to shoot this morning in 10 degrees F, with warm-up breaks between flights. 5 1/2 minutes was about all I could muster at that temp, though.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Add these into the scenario...if you put them on the back of your hands inside the gloves you'll be surprised how beneficial they are. They'll warm the blood supply to your fingers. Beats trying to persuade Graupner and Spektrum to add stick heaters..... :)

Andy.

10. Jon Fredericks

Good idea slipping them into the back of the gloves. I like the stick heater idea even better!!

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If the idea works, it's mine! If it craters, it's somebody else's! :)

Andy.

12. Jon Fredericks

Couldn't be too hard...a little heat tape with a dedicated power pack. Let me know how it turns out and I'll be your first order!

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Right....it's not like we can't find a battery that will deliver, say, 60 Amps for a while.... :)

Andy.

14. Benjamin Rowland

We used those too on that Maine shoot - worked great!

15. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

I can't stand flying in gloves. I tried it once and felt so disconnected from my hexacopter that I almost biffed it. I have bought one of the Turnigy Transmitter Muffs which works very well. I'm also planning on ordering some of these reusable heat packs to put in the bottom of the muff to keep my hands extra toasty!

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Just don't try and scratch your nose with your hands in that Transmitter Muff! Could be disasterous! :)
    The photographer's gloves I mentioned above allow you the tips of the your thumb and forefinger to be exposed so you're not disconnected from the controls...

Andy.