/dist/images/branding/favicon

Coiled or non-coiled power cable for cam?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Robert Ruffo, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

Buying some new power cables for our Movi and Red Epic/Arri Mini- wondering if coiled cables (the ones that resemble old-school studio headphone cables) are a good idea?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm not a fan of the coiled cables. They're OK, but they're messy to secure and take up more room than you think. I prefer to have cables that are close to the length you'll need, or to put a few coils in them and secure that under a bongo tie. In fact, I use lots of bongo ties on my Movi rigs, so everything's secure and doesn't move. You can also get some small velcro cable wraps if you need.

3. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

Thank you Graham! You have a lot of expertise so I will take you advice! I hope Freefly gives you discounts - because you have helped so many fellow ops, they should!

Another question... What gauge is required for Red Epic/Arri mini? Is 16 OK/safe? I see that Movi uses a lot of JST connectors for power - I assume they are perfect for Movi, but wonder if JST might melt with an Red Epic or Arri sucking juice for prolonged periods as they do....

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

I couldn't tell you about cable guage on Arri or RED. I know they used to power RED Epic Dragon's off the 4S JST batteries on drones for really short periods of time. I mostly use DTap for my camera connections.