/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar8 build for RED Epic

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by David Kellermann, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi David.
    That's about as far as my knowledge goes I'm afraid, having not tried either 60amp or 80amp escs, all I can say with certainly is go for something larger than a 40apm esc for heavy lifting:) I suspect it will depend on your final configuration/set up in the end. There are so many variables I would hate to recommend one or the other without having flown that exact setup and I am a DJI wookong M user so might be different for Hoverfly. I'm sure whoever you order from will be able to advise on the most efficient set up for you for the epic/scarlet. It's a bit like cameras though I think. The technology is moving so fast at the moment that there are better products coming out all the time which make lifting more weight possible. If you know you want to lift the scarlet/epic then aim for that now so you don't have to upgrade so quickly in the future.
    Hope that helps:)
    Katya

2. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I don't understand, the recent 20KG tests by kopterworx were getting 200 amps total. That's only 25 amps/ motor. If a 40A esc can truly do 40A continuous then it should be plenty, no?

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I am not fully understanding the logic behind using huge ESCs either with his setup? I am using 50amp and those are going to be plenty!

Josh

4. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

What happens, is, that escs are the same as tmotors and the next size up from the 40 are the 60, and the difference in weight from 60 to 80 is only 2 grams per esc , so if money, is not an issue, and it shouldn't as the price difference is minimal. It would make sense to go with the 80.agree?

5. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

The max continuos amps of the T-motor is 28A for 180sec, and the KW10 is 20A continuous, : 30A (180 sec), 50A for 15 sec.
    So I think if you are reaching those numbers there are bigger problems, as in, motor is going to fry, or power distribution is going to melt.

6. David Kellermann

The offers from some vendors finally arrived. I'll order the items tomorrow. Wish me luck! I'll need it;)

Thank you all for the support you have given!

Cheers
    David

PS: That's the final list of items I want to order:

Freefly Cinestar8 kit w/ 500mm booms
    CS Camera Mount Red Epic 3 axis
    Freefly Radian 3 Axis
    8x KW Pro 10 Motor
    4x XOAR 8 to 6 mm adapter
    4x XOAR 15x5" wooden props
    HoverflyPRO Blackboard
    MX-20 12-Kanal Gr. HoTT
    MX-12 9-Kanal Gr. HoTT
    Graupner ULTRA DUO PLUS 60
    2x Copter Deluxe UBEC 4A mit 5V/6V
    8x TURNIGY Plush 60amp Speed Controller
    6x Turnigy nano-tech 8000mAh 6S 25~50C
    4x Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 25~50C

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David:
    Why only four Xoar 15x5 props, please? I would have thought you would need eight for the Cinestar 8? Also, by all accounts, you'll need spare props as the wooden props are more susceptible to nicks and dings that the APC plastic ones are.

Also, how do you plan to aim the camera? I do not see any FPV system, nor HDMI -> SD converter and downlink?

You might also consider more than one charger -- it's going to take you several hours to charge up all those batteries for a shoot.

Andy.

8. David Kellermann

Hi Andy,

they sell the props in pairs. I'll get two spare pairs as replacements.

I have already an HDMI transmitter for the RED. As soon as some money comes in next year, I'll get a good FPV system.

Right now, there are just some few shots planned with the copter. If I'm using it more often, I'll get more batteries and an additional charger.

Cheers
    David

PS: Any chance that your DVD "A rather good guide..." will be distributed in Europe or available to purchase as an download?

9. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

All this just for a few shots??? I really think you'll be better off hiring someone.

10. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Also. I know many people have had few or no problems with them, but there's NO way I would trust the plush ESC's flying a red epic. Just my opinion.
    One of my first electric helis was brought down on fire by a plush 40a.

11. Pavlos Antoniou

They are very good escs..!! also the HFP reccomend them for the controller...!

IF you setup is good and you try the setup on ground for a defect you dont have to worry

12. David Kellermann

I heard many good things about the plush ESC. But I will go with the plush 60 instead of the 40.

13. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

It's not an amp issue, as you will probably be melting everything else before reaching even 30A. The recent kotperworx test was getting max 25A per motor.
    The plush could be just fine. I used it in a different application over 2 years ago, but still hold a grudge and mistrust. Some people have the same experience with castle esc's. If only kontronik would make a multicopter esc!

14. Pavlos Antoniou

Yeap you are right.. Thats why i am always working the esc on ground for a few mins to check it..

I have seen 2xCC on fire on helis :) :)

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh. Sorry. I was being too literal!

You might consider a Smart On Screen Display too. They make a huge difference to the way I fly.
    And believe me, I need all the help I can get. :oops:

You might want to build confidence in your bird by flying a dummy load first...

Quadrocopter is the sole distributor, but, if you can play NTSC DVDs, I'm pretty sure Quadrocopter will ship to Europe. Let me know if you can play NTSC DVDs and I'll contact them for you.

Andy.

16. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

David if you go woth the KW-10 motors you will need the 80amp esc
    Those are the ones I got still waiting for motors though.
    http://www.kopterworx.com/Latest-products-in-Shop/KW80E-advanced-escape
    Bill

17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Bill why would you need an 80amp esc for motor rated at 20a continuous and max 50am for 15 sec?

18. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

That's what Matjaz suggested. I was going with the 60Amp But he said the 80 is better. I guess he wanted to make a bigger sale.
    this is the email I got.
    "
    For KW10 its better 80A escapes.

With Best Regards

Matjaž Kranj?evi?
    -----------------------------------
    www.kopterworx.com

Bill

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Bill: Have you had any hassles with U.S Customs ordering stuff up from Kopterworx (or other places in Europe?)

Andy.

20. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I've had multiple orders with Altigator in Belgium and also Littlesmartthings and sometimes get stuff faster from them than a US source. No customs issues, ever....