/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar vibration damper red o-rings - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by John Gore, Oct 9, 2012.

1. John Gore

John Gore Member

Do the cinestar vibration isolation system red o-rings work? I have tested my 2 axis now solid mounted, and mounted with the vibration system, and I see very little difference. In fact it seems it may well be worse with the vibration isolation system in place, as it allows for too much movement.

Perhaps I have missed something?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

In my experience, yes, they do work, but they are quite sensitive to ambient temperature. In the colder temps. they get too rigid and in the hotter temps they get to soft, so what I've seen several folks do is remove rings to compensate in lower temperatures.

The vibration isolators seem good at absorbing high frequency vibrations from the motors and isolating the gimbal from those, but there are mechanical limits if you fly the copter with a heavy hand or move it aggressively in nick or roll -- you can apparently bang the isolators against the lower hub plate.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

3. SteveWilson

SteveWilson Member

I'm trying to eliminate some vibrations - I'm getting some high frequency vibes making themselves visible when I have a good bit of zoom going in a hover. Since I have a light camera - 9.6 oz - does it make sense to remove a couple of the O-rings?

Since winter is coming, and based on Andy's observations, I suppose I should pull a couple anyways.

Thanks.