/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 Upgrade for Medium Heavy Lift (8-10kg)

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Maller, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

I will post the gpx file when I get a chance. it was more of a glinch. just moving along slowly in gps mode then suddenly it wanted to fly back to Germany. I have happened a few times when flying near bridges and construction fields. like i hit the CH but didnt. I guess the gpx will tell the truth! ;)

I knew the massive bunch of wires under the fc was massive EMI problem but i decided to test it anyway keeping the finger on the trigger just in case as always.

well back to cutting and soldering when i get a chance and installing the external compass should have back in the air early next week. i wonder if will help? i am scared to turn the compass effect on.

cheers

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The glitch you describe sounds a lot like a radio failsafe. It'd be interesting to get the Graupner log and see if you're experiencing sub-par performance out of your control radio. The GPX file may indicate that as well, as it might show radio signal loss. But that's just a guess.

Apropos, this is why I've decided to move to UHF radios for my ALTA. I have been super impressed with the performance of the DragonLink system on my other copter, and I want to eliminate as many sources of concern as possible. I've found the UHF systems to be far more robust than 2.4gHz. Not that I'm planning to go 3 miles away with my ALTA :eek: but I did experience 2.4gHz dropouts a few times with my MK bird at 300-400 meters, and I just don't want to deal with that anymore.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve:
    I think your Dragonlink experiences, and even the equipment you selected, might be of interest to other forum members. Could you post a few more details? (Or provide a link to another thread if you've already done that and I've spaced the fact that you did! :rolleyes:).

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  4. Steve Maller

Good idea. I'll start a new thread in the ALTA forum about configuring your bird.

5. Jason Smoker

Also I have spektrum dx8 so no log file. I am seriously thinking upgrading to dragon link with futuba just to cut the idea of radio loss

sorry been busy this the gpx file that i had the gpx glitch with it says i had " gps lost error 19 times" even though at the time it says i still have up to 9 sats locked. any ideas??

Attached Files:

6. Steve Maller

It looks a lot like you had some GPS interference just after takeoff, as is seen by this chart of the number of Sats the MK GPS saw. As you can see, there are quite a few spikes early in the flight. Sometimes this can be caused by a lot of current flowing to the motors, or by something on the ground or power lines or something. But then a few moments into the flight it stabilized.

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 10.40.23 PM.jpg

7. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

We have been having some serious solar activity in the last few days in fact a few days ago the Kp index was at 8. It's been in and out 4 to 5 throughout the week.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

This week has seen one of the largest solar storms that I can recall in the past few years. KpIndex = 8. I'm amazed that more people didn't lose their copters. The folks on phantompilots.com seem surprisingly unaware of the solar storm!
    See n3kl.org -- time is UTC, each bar is 3 hours:

noaa_kp_3d 2015-06-23.gif

9. Shaun Stanton

That's why I have an app on my phone let's see the kp index real time

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

spaceweather.com is currently reporting (note: CME = coronal mass ejection) another incoming storm so expect GPS to be unreliable for the next day or so:

GEOMAGNETIC STORM IN CME'S WAKE: As expected, a CME hit Earth's magnetic field on June 24th. At first the impact had little effect, but now a G1-class geomagnetic storm is in progress as Earth passes through the CME's wake. High latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras. Aurora alerts: text or voice.
    ANOTHER CME IS ON THE WAY: Since June 21st, four CMEs have hit Earth's magnetic field. A fifth is on the way. Sunspot AR2371 erupted again during the early hours of June 25th, producing an M7.9-class solar flare and a lopsided CME. The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory photographed the storm cloud, which raced away from the sun faster than 2000 km/s (4.5 million mph).
    :
    The CME will probably sideswipe Earth's magnetic field on June 27th. NOAA computer models, due out later today, will refine the cloud's predicted arrival time and establish probabilities for geomagnetic storms.

Shaun Stanton likes this.
  11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

12. Jason Smoker

I think it was more caused by the jungle of wires that i am now cutting down and resoldering because the kde motor wires are super long!! I had to put a cable tie so they didnt fall out!:eek:

I just wanted to test this beast to see if would fly and how much throttle i had.

this is before pic just so you know whats going on I will post a after pic after i spend the day resoldering hahaha!! fun times ahead!

Attached Files:

Steve Maller likes this.
  13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oy. The flying spaghetti monster! :)
    The odds are that the electromagnetic fields of that fur-ball probably cancelled out to zero! (Pure speculation...)

Andy.

14. Shaun Stanton

I am with you Andy I put my money on the small fireball in the sky.

15. Jason Smoker

Well five hours later a whole lot wire less and tada its much cleaner!

I think because of the x8 you cant get it as clean as the flat underneath but its the best i can do!:)

some cable ties for those fpv wires to make it look pretty also. I think that will help my cause

Attached Files:

16. Steve Maller

Jason, just a note on something I noticed on your build. Those long spacers you have on the vibration isolators could end up causing you some trouble. I would at least go to the black rings on the isolators. I believe the length of the spacers is going to amplify any potential movement and possibly even cause some pendulum-like resonance. Is there a reason those are there other than cosmetics? Something like that could cause some instability in the copter when there's a decent-sized camera on a gimbal down there. Not to mention the gimbal (even if it's a good one like a MōVI) could see its performance impacted.

Jason Smoker and Shaun Stanton like this.
  17. Shaun Stanton

I would go one step further. I would get 4 extra dampers and get the 8 pointed star plate from famoushobby.com. Interesting thing is that now with brushless gimbals I can leave all my dampers black and no longer worry about the dick dance of should I have in red two blue and rest black. It seems the brushless systems have solved all our wows from our radian servo days :)

freefly was nice enough to give us the extra holes to do it. All you need is some extra press nuts which they also sell on famous.

18. Jason Smoker

steve if you remember i started this thread http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/different-stand-offs-for-vibration-dampening.6288/

I have those so i don`t see booms in my shots running a two man team. As Far as i am aware i have flown both it does not make that much of difference between them. Okazan actually suggested that way, you can see his set-up its in that thread its the same as mine. I will upgrade the o-rings if i continue see problems for now the blue ones do fine with my set-up m5 and canon 5dmkIII.

I am keen to get this bird re-calibrated and flown again.

19. Jason Smoker

But I could be wrong?!?

20. Shaun Stanton

i suppose if the blue ones work you are probably fine. i would be more concerned with the tinsel strength of the standoffs and the risk of them shearing with high side loads.