/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 Upgrade for Medium Heavy Lift (8-10kg)

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Maller, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Well, it seemed like a good idea...sigh.

I've been looking at Anderson Power Poles as an industrial-strength replacement for EC5 connectors, which just feel too flimsy to me now. I ordered a set of them with a crimping tool. They're very nice and super easy to make, but I think they have a fatal flaw: they don't have a very positive lock. In normal (read terrestrial) uses, they're probably fine. But after assembling a couple of Lipos with them, I don't think I'm going to use them. With the stresses that a copter can encounter in flight, the last thing I'd want is a LiPo to come unhinged.

So it's back to the EC5s for now.

2. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

I have never tried them, but ProgressiveRC makes a similar connector to EC5 (encased bullet) but is rated up to 300 amps and accepts up to 6 gauge wire. Its their PRC8 connector. I think they have a PRC6 that is rated to 200 amps.

3. Steve Maller

Build update: March 24 2014

My build goals have evolved, and now it appears my copter’s going to be flying at around 11-12kg, which is considerably heavier than my original calculations. Currently my flight times are not ideal (10-12 minutes) and the copter feels underpowered. So after considerable research, I have decided to move up to the KDE-Direct 4012XF-400 motors and (probably) 17” props. My calculations indicate I should be at closer to 50% hover with considerably more overhead if I go even heavier.

I’ll likely be selling my Avroto 3515 motors and Tiger 15” props once the new ones arrive, so watch the Sale/Trade board.

4. Michael McVay

I have had my eyes on those motors as well. Seem to be a great mix of power and efficiency. With 17 inch props you could fly a very heavy load for a long time. Have you checked with KDE yet to see if they have been tested on the MK 6S system?

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I too have been keeping an eye on these motors. A couple things that stick out to me is that the specs call for 15 degrees motor timing. I can't remember if the MK BL settings will go that low. Secondly I"m wondereing how cool they will run compared to the U5's as the U5's are designed very well for cooling. I wonder if anyone with MK electronics have already run these motors? I wonder if custom motor plates would need to be run for the cinestar platform?

6. Steve Maller

I have not heard back from them or from Holger about compatibility with the MK BLs, but I believe the latest firmware will address a wider variety of motors’ timings.

7. Steve Maller

Motor plates that I have now should work fine. Cooling isn’t of any concern because the motors will be running at peak efficiency, and assuming a smooth drive train, there shouldn’t be any heat issues. I have emailed Holger but haven’t heard back yet.

8. Steve Maller

Holger just wrote back to me in regards to the KDE motors. Interesting...
    Basically they would work fine.
    But the rated values of timing is opposite on their website: they mean 25-15° (30° - x)
    Please leave the timing around 28°
    And leave the PWM to 20kHz

9. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Steve I was watching the flight video on KDE's site and they said that they use dynamic timing and proprietary algorhthms. Not sure if the efficiency numbers they have are based on that but its worth looking into especially if you are going to run double the timing that they recommend. It would be nice to know if DJI has these features and if KDE built, test and tuned it around this function in DJI.

10. Steve Maller

KDE wrote back to me with an answer to the same question:

There should be no compatibility issues, as the motors are working well with a wide-range of controllers and are specifically-tuned for multi-rotor use, so it should not be a concern. I don’t have any personal experience with the Mikrokopter power-board, nor do we have one at our facility for direct-testing, but I believe it won’t be a problem based on the capabilities of the controllers (high-frequency refresh, range of PWM rates, etc.).

I wish I had specific data for you on this controller power, but I unfortunately don’t have any specific flight-results for this combination at the moment.

11. Ashley Fairfield

Thanks for getting all that information Steve. I emailed MK a couple of weeks ago and the information I got back was not as specific as yours. I bought these motors a few weeks ago but have yet to put them on the copter. Dave I originally bought the motor mounts recommended for the U7's and they are a great fit with the KDE motor.

12. Steve Maller

I have the KDE-Direct 4012XF-400 motors now, but sadly, even though the weather is gorgeous here, I have too much shooting to do over the next week or so to spend any time. I am really excited to try them out, though!

13. Michael McVay

Hey Steve. I am thinking about getting the 4012s as well and was curious to know what had you choose them over the 4014s?

14. Steve Maller

I studied the power curves, and the 4012 seem to fit my payload numbers a little better at a slightly lower power draw than the 4014. But I’m no engineer. Nevertheless, both motors are far more powerful than what I’m using now, and I suspect either would be fine.

15. Michael McVay

Thats what I was thinking too, and I referred a friend of my to consider buying them as well for a new build. He talked to someone at KDE about them who recommended he go with the 4014s. When I asked him what they said this was the reply...FYI:

Chris McVey spoke at great length about efficiency and performance numbers on both excellent motors. The deciding factor was simply prop size. I'm probably 17 or 18, and the 4014 are better there. Rule of thumb from Chris: For 15" and below, use the 4012's. For 17's and above, use the 4014's. For 16's, flip a coin. They also have tri blade props that back 20% more thrust with slightly less efficiency, but they are made for applications that have limited area for props - say smaller booms, and would not recommend them for heavy applications.

MIke Magee likes this.
  16. Steve Maller

As per Herr Holger today I updated the firmware for all 8 BL-Ctrl3s on my Double Quadro 2XL boards. That was weird. But it worked great. No idea you could do that. :cool:

IMG_9464.jpg IMG_9461.jpg

17. Michael McVay

Did he indicate what the firmware update corrected or improved?

18. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I'm very curious about the 4014s and the high pole count. Will they play nice with MK and FF controllers? How do those performance numbers on KDE's site translate in real world? Are those small lightweight motors really that powerful? Only time will tell.

19. Steve Maller

20. Michael McVay

Thanks Steve...I misunderstood and thought Holger was giving you something brand new to try for a particular issue you were having with your new motors or something.

I'll be on standby waiting to hear how the new KDEs fly.

When talking to my friend who ordered the KDE 4014s, he is planning to use the metal motor mount that comes with the motors. Have you looked at those at all to see if the holes align for a 25mm boom clamp? If not, I'll suggest he get some Famous Hobby mounts if they are too big for the QC mount.