/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 MK GPS goes crazy in DPH

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Jeff Richardson, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Jeff Richardson

Jeff Richardson New Member

I have a weird problem where my Cinestar 8 sometimes goes crazy when in Dynamic Position Hold.
    It just seems to want to go off and fly somewhere like a mad machine. This is actually quite dramatic and the further it tries to fly away the faster it goes.
    I have looked at the GPX data and I'm no expert but it doesn't seem to look right as far as GPS stick input is concerned. I need an expert to take a look and advise please.

It does this quite often and this is just a typical example.

File is attached.

Attached Files:

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

HI Jeff

Welcome to the board. I looked at your GPX file and all looks normal. There's a couple things that stick out to me that might be wrong and for you to check.

First off make sure the GPS board is sitting in the correct orientation with respect to the copter. If you look at the board you see the word mikrokopter on it, it should be facing toward boom 5. The little blue LED that lights up and blinks when you get a GPX fix should be facing toward boom 1. If you have your GPS board out on boom one then this light should be pointing out toward the motor of boom one.

If this is correct, you need to recalibrate the compass and verify that you are doing it correctly. When you start out you have to make sure boom one is pointing toward magnetic north and then you rotate the copter having boom 1 continue on the magnetic north axis as you tumble it. Quadrocopter has an excellent video on this as does Andy Johnson Laird in his Cinestar building DVD. The key is to make sure you double verified magnetic north, I use a real military compass not a cell phone and when I do the compass I make sure that my cell phone is in the car and that the compass is in the car as well once you established magnetic north.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.