/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 - Heavy Lift - Now complete...

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Justin A Zattelman, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Justin A Zattelman

Justin A Zattelman New Member

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share some notes from my experience building a flat 8 configuration Cinestar Heavy Lift.

The main system components include:
    • Cinestar 8 HL frame - 550mm booms
    • KDE 4012XF motors
    • KDE 55A+ Speed controllers
    • Tiger 16x5.4 Carbon fiber props
    • Freefly heavy lift aluminium arm clamps on the inset and outset of the frame
    • DJI A2 Flight controller
    • Motor mounts to fit the KDE motors - http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6141903281.html
    • Power Hungry Distribution board 8
    • Futaba 7008SB Receiver
    • 5.8Ghz Immersion Downlink for FPV and Red Epic
    The platform is designed to lift the MOVI MR with a RED Epic and a 1kg lens. In Australia we are restricted to travelling on aircraft with flight batteries of 100Wh or less so we use 3 to 4 Turnigy Nano-tech 6S 4500mah batteries in parallel.
    With a 6 kg payload and landing at a conservative 21.8 volts:
    • 3 X 4500mah 6S batteries = 6 minutes flight time
    • 4 X 4500mah 6S batteries = 7.5 minutes flight time.
    My experience building this platform:
    The flat 8 constructions offers a longer flight time, a more even distribution of weight amongst the arms and offers more stability should a motor fail. I'm happy with the rigidity of the frame and the quality of the freefly Cinestar components. The KDE motors and speed controllers are brilliant. The pair are incredibly responsive and paired with the Tiger 16" carbon props, the machine feels very solid in the air.
    I designed a custom made CNC cut acrylic plate to neatly mount the A2 modules onto because there isn't enough space to mount the modules directly to the Cinestar center frame. The custom plate fits neatly over the center plate, speed controllers and power hungry distribution board. The standard battery plate fits over my custom made plate with only 2-3mm to spare. The speed controller are mounted to the Cinestar center frame using velcro and zip-ties to hold the cables neatly in place.
    I'm yet to find a solution to safely mounting the four 6s lipo flight batteries The battery plate is a little short to mount all 4 of them cross the plate. I could easily design another custom plate to mount the batteries but I'm not sure where I could get it cnc cut out of fibreglass or carbon fiber plate. Does anyone have any experience getting custom composite plates manufactured?
    The photos doen't show the MOVI attached, just the 6kgs mass of dumbells used to test the machine.
    I hope some of you might find this helpful. Any suggestions on how I can make this better would be much appreciated! CenterFrame.jpg Cinestar1.jpg Cinestar2.jpg Cinestar3.jpg Cinestar4.jpg CustomPlate.jpg

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice looking rig and the A2 mounting plate looks good. Can you share a source of the plate?

3. Philip Lima

Philip Lima Member

Very nice build. Definitely the cleanest DJI/Cinestar build I've seen. I'm also curious about the A2 mounting plate...

4. Justin A Zattelman

Thanks Gary and Philip, I'll work out how to upload a DXF on Monday when I'm back in the office.

5. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Very nice, what is the AUW?

6. Justin A Zattelman

The frame without batteries or Movi attached is about 4.5kg, pretty light!

7. Charlie Cushing

What kind of flight times are you getting with the MOVI MR and camera on it?

8. Justin A Zattelman

I'm getting around 10 mins with two 16,000mah TATTU batteries. All up weight is around 16kg... I feels very heavy!

Does anyone know how I can upload DXF files to the forum? I can only choose a limited selection of files in the file browser when I try to upload.

Also where do people find the green / red / orange sticker sheets which they put on the arms of their octos to help the pilot orientate the craft?

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Justin: You have "cheat" to upload a dxf file: assuming the file is called justin.dxf, rename it to justin.dxf.txt and then upload it. :)

Andy.

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It's just a guess, but I wonder if things might improve with two 10000 mAH batteries instead. My experience with the 16000 was they were too heavy for my copter.