/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 6 going bonkers!

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by Leopoldo Tamargo, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Leopoldo Tamargo

I've been trying to practice smother flying for the past few weeks. When ever I think I'm getting better something odd happens or it seems I'm flying too rough.
    I thought it was me but last weekend my friends and I went out to fly and while experimenting with position hold and altitude hold the copter went a little crazy for a moment. I told them it wasn't me that had moved it so erratically and decided to land. We had been trying to monitor it using Mikrokopter tools and all looked ok.

My friend who is a better pilot than me started to fly it and all seem ok when it decided to suddenly jerked around, start to clime then shot off to the left while he fought for control. It ultimately found its way into a very tall tree.

With a friends good throwing arm, some line and a small weight we were able to shake the branch until the copter came crashing down,

I uploaded the GPX files hoping someone could make sense of this. I have been frustrated fro months at not being a better pilot and now I think that the problem may have been something unseen with the copter.

Comments and advice are encouraged and very welcomed.

Attached Files:

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

So I see a number of things in the GPX files.
    • in 14020201.GPX, there is a “No Serial Link” error flag for the second half of the flight. This could indicate a loose connection somewhere, or a bad cable. You may want to check your ribbon cables and make sure they’re not running next to the LiPo cables or maybe they’re damaged?
    • in 14020203.GPX, there are 26 I2C errors, which could be related to the problem above, or could be another problem. I never see those and if I do, the copter’s grounded until I figure out why
    In all the files, the copter looks like it’s flying very, very heavy, and/or the motors are out of alignment (lots of low voltage warnings), or the copter’s not balanced properly. The motor currents are unbalanced, and the battery looks like it’s draining very fast. What’s your AUW (all up weight)? And what battery are you running?
    None of this directly explains the crash, but if there are transient electrical problems, all bets are off.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I thought the "No Serial Link" meant that there was no link from the MK boards to MK Tools? Do you have a Xbee or Bluetooth adapter on the copter, Leopoldo? I'm surprised to see that "No Serial Link" be present and then absent if you do not have either adapter.

As to I2C errors, if you see some on startup but the count does not increase, then they are just artifacts of the systems coming up. If you see them occurring at times other than startup, then Steve is correct, ground the copter until you find the problem.

Andy.

4. Leopoldo Tamargo

I do have the xbee and I thought it was working as my friends were monitoring the flight while I piloted.
    Green lights the whole time.
    Any advice would be welcome.
    I was starting to think I was just a bad pilot but the way it behaved before crashing makes me think this was a slowly building problem that, at least I, didn't notice through the xbee and on the mikrokopter tools.
    I just seem to have been having too many problems with this Cinestar, 6. I believe there could have been something wrong after one of my first many "Hard Landings". Maybe something was slightly damaged early on and has become unreliable?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'll try and have a look at the GPX files at the weekend if I have a moment, Leopoldo.
    What transmitter are you using, by the way?
    And are you using any Expo on the transmitter?

Andy.

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Remember that the xbee works both ways. Could they have clicked something that messed with the copter?

7. Leopoldo Tamargo

I don't think so but its worth a look.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Leopoldo, I'm hoping to look at the GPX files tomorrow. Which one of the GPX files was the one that I should look at first -- the one in which the CS6 goes bonkers?

Andy.