/dist/images/branding/favicon

Charging 3 or more batteries in one go

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by John Christian Rosenlund, Aug 31, 2017.

1. John Christian Rosenlund

Have anyone made a charger that takes 3 or more MöVI PRO batteries ?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Yes. There's this one: https://cvp.com/index.php?t=product/theblackdrone_56060_quad_charger

Personally, on the cheap, I took a half-size milk-crate and bongo-tied 6 chargers to the walls. One zip-cord stinger loops to all the chargers, so there's just one plug for the whole crate. I have 12 batteries, and this keeps them all together.

IMG_2405.JPG

3. John Christian Rosenlund

Good idea. Thank you. How many batteries would you recommend for 8 hour constant shooting?

4. Graham Futerfas

It depends on how many accessories you're powering with them. Do you have the ability to charge batteries during this 8 hours, or are you out and away from AC power all day?

If you're powering a camera, wireless video, wireless focus, and the Movi all off of these batteries, then they'll drain a lot faster than if you're just powering the gimbal.

The batteries charge quickly -- takes about an hour to re-charge, especially since I try to swap them out when they reach 30% remaining capacity. On a film set, I don't want the batteries to die during a shot, so I try to change them a few minutes early when I have a moment without people needing the Movi up and going.

I have 12 batteries and 6 chargers, and most days, it's overkill. I could do 8 batteries and 4 chargers on a studio day with easy access to AC power. If you don't have a good Assistant to help you manage the batteries and chargers, or you get away from AC power for a few hours, then it's nice to have the extra batteries.

Fully loaded and powering an Arri Mini, Paralinx Tomahawk, and the Movi, I get about 40 minutes of run time on two batteries.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

WD-40, duct tape, and bongo ties. How could we survive without them? :rolleyes:

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Add Gaff tape to that list, and don't think I could survive. My rigs would fall apart.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

True. But duct tape can kinda sorta act as Gaff tape. In a pinch.

Nahh. On reflection the list should include Gaff tape.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Graham Futerfas

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

10. Graham Futerfas

There's so many good kinds of Velcro! Who knew?

Mostly Dual-Lock these days (I've been buying in bulk!), but I find Industrial Strength to also be useful for interfacing with Preston MDR's, holding my receivers, etc.

The downside to some of these Velcros, especially Dual Lock, is the residue\foam tape they can leave behind. I usually put a little paper tape down first before applying Velcro or Dual Lock to someone's expensive Arri Mini camera.

11. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Used to be a velcro man myself. After blowing through a hundred bucks-worth in swampy ol' Jamaica, I gave up. It put the glue into constant liquid state.

12. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

pretty boss though, the thought of slapping all my accessories on like magnets sounds about as sexy as camera accessorizing gets

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah. That really is the problem, although for hot environments there is a high temperature version of Dual Lock (good for up to 200F): https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-SJ3550-Reclosable-Fastener/dp/B00AQ6IJ3S

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

14. Graham Futerfas

Good to know, Andy. 3M's amazing. I'm sure once it goes on, it never comes off! :)

15. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

I'm about to stick @#!# all over my car. . .