/dist/images/branding/favicon

Chargers....

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Justin Marx, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Hey guys!!

Just curious if you have any suggestions of FAST lipo chargers.. I have the Graupner Polaron EX DC Charger http://www.quadrocopter.com/Graupner-Polaron-EX-DC-Charger_p_1213.html

and the eFuel Power Supply..
    eFuel 1200W/50A Power Supply

Charging my Quadropower 10,000 6S batteries from around the 20% mark takes about an hour.. Thats as fast as I can get it..

Is there a faster charger out there (I don't care about it hurting the battery a little bit, I just need to be able to charge quickly on set sometimes)

THANKS guys!

- - Justin

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

What charging current have you selected, Justin? The recommended would be 1C or 10 Amps if you want to get the maximum charge into the battery.

Andy

3. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Howard's right. I'd forgotten about that post. You can launch a nuclear strike with that set up -- or shoot a rail gun.

Andy.

Howard Dapp likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Howard: What do you find the charging time is for the two 6s/10K packs assuming they're at 20% of useful capacity and you charge them at 4C (40 Amps)?

Andy.

6. Howard Dapp

Andy, though I wouldn't advise doing so too often, it takes approx 15 mins to charge a 10k pack @ 4C that has 20% in the tank. In the field I typically charge at 2C.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I hear you, Howard. 4C is somewhat "cruel and unusual" to a Lipo.

Andy.

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I think you should consider buying more LiPos as opposed to charging the ones you have faster. Large LiPos could potentially release a lot of energy in a very short amount of time if something went wrong charging one at 4C. I wouldn't want to be the guy who proved that wasn't a safe charge rate. :(

9. Howard Dapp

Steve, 75% of my shoots involve travel therefore you're not always afforded the luxury of packing loads of lipos, especially flying dual 6s, unless you're traveling with a large crew to divide up the load. Some shoots are so demanding that you have absolutely no other choice but to occasionally charge at a high C rate. Again, in the field I typically charge at 2C but sometimes you just need a faster charge for those difficult multi take scenes at magic hour.