/dist/images/branding/favicon

Charge status light Flashing Red (3 cell status OFF with one cell status light flashing RED)

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Antoniogg, Jul 16, 2015.

?

Charge status light Flashing Red...WHAT DO THE LIGHT MEAN?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2015.
  1. meaning of the Leds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. solution to charge the battery correctly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Antoniogg

Antoniogg New Member

WHAT DO THE LIGHTS MEAN?
    Charge status light Flashing Red and 3 cell status off, with 1 cell status light flashing RED
    (Charge status light and one cell status flashing red alternately), Thanks!

Images of charger attached
    Link video:

Attached Files:

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. TJ_Sheridan

TJ_Sheridan New Member

Okay, this question was never answered, and the link you posted doesn't answer it either.

I have four M5 batteries. Only one of them charges normally, with the main red light on and the four smaller LED lights on, all at the same time.

The other three batteries, when I plug them in, the main light blinks red, and then the 2S light blinks. The other three lights (1S, 3S, 4S) all stay completely off. Three of my batteries do this.

The link you posted, Gary, says that if a cell is out of balance, that all of the lights will come on, and only the one that's out of balance will blink. I only get one blinking light, and the rest stay completely off. Does that mean it thinks all of the cells are charged except that one? Because in my case, they are not.

And what does the charger consider a full charge per cell? Is it the typical 4.21 V per cell is fully charged, or does it have some lower value that it considers "fully charged"? I'm on a project in China right now, and if I can't get my stupid batteries to charge, I'm totally HOSED!

And what if you're in a hurry, can you charge them at 2 or 3 amps to do a rapid charge? Cuz at this point, I'm in a hurry.

I hope somebody responds to this quickly.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

TJ: Do you have access to any hobby stores in China that will sell LiPo chargers or LiPo testers (which will tell you whether a specific cell has died)?

I'm not sure what the problem is with the batteries you have -- did you by chance leave the fully charged for an extended period of time, or leave them connected to the M5 with the M5 powered on until they went flat?

Andy.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh....forgot to answer your other questions:

1. Fully charged is 4.2V per cell.
    2. Max recommended charge rate is 2C (twice the capacity of the battery), so 2.6 Amps as it's a 1.3 Amp/hour battery.

There is nothing proprietary about the M5 battery as such -- it's just a regular 4S Lipo with 1.3 Amp/hour capacity, so you may be able to find replacements if you do happen to have access to a hobby shop in China. The battery two-pin (red) connector is known as a JST connector, and the balance lead (the white one) is a JST XH connector. JST is the manufacturer.

I think most of the LiPo's are made in China, FWIW.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

6. Robert Cecil

Robert Cecil New Member

Andy, I did exactly that. I left my M15 on after the battery had died. Now I get a flashing red on the mail light and 1S flashes as well but no other cells status lights at all. Have I killed the battery?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I suspect you have. If a cell is below 3.0 volts for a few hours, in my experience it's dead. Some folks (including me) have successfully revived such batteries with chargers that allow you to specify the battery chemistry and they "lie" and say it's a lithium ion battery and let it charge for a few minutes to bring the cell voltage up to 3.0 or 3.1 and then charge as a Lipo, but I not really sure I'd ever trust a Lipo that has been "flat-lined" down to zero volts.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert