/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cell Gap High After Flights

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Zach Beggs, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Some lipos will come back from the field with a high cell gap. Sometimes .030, one was .050 (QC8000s).

As for my QC1200s, one of them is at a 0.123 of a cell gap from the field.

They seem to charge fine as they return to normal ranges upon full charge. But just curious as I don't have as much experience with lipos as some of you guys do.

Any advice would be helpful!

I also have been paracharging, but there has been no issue there (minimal cell gap on full charge).

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I may reveal my ignorance here, but I don't even bother checking the cell gap. I let the Hyperion charger worry about that.
    That said, I am not paracharging.

Andy

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Zach I don't check mine after flight. Did that one time and they vary widely but balance with little to no gap.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I've checked periodically, although I don't make a standard practice of it. What I find is that my main 4S flight batteries (Zippys and Quadropowers) tend to stay pretty close, with the cells reading (for example) 3.78 3.81 3.80 3.76 which I consider fine. Where I've seen the greater variation is in the little 1200 and 1600 3S LiPos I use for the camera stuff, where I end up with numbers like 3.61 3.80 3.72 but even that seems OK. They charge up to 4.2 4.19 4.21 or something like that, so I don't worry. I'm paracharging the 4S batts but not the 3S. I charge all my batteries at 1.5-2C