/dist/images/branding/favicon

Catch and release tool to grab Movi from jib end (?)

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Robert Ruffo, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

An awesome Movi move is to fly it at the end of a jib/crane, and then have a hand-operator continue walking/running it further on the ground.

I'm wondering who sells the gismo that would enable secure clamping at the jib end, but then also easy unclamping of the Movi from the end of the jib, so easy that it doesn't introduce a big fumble and bump, and makes possible a single smooth move throughout?

Does anyone know? Been searching everywhere online, and my grip has never done this before. We've so far only been able to figure out secure clamping or easy unclamping, not so much both.

Thank you guys. BTW this is a great forum - I've learned a lot!

jim mundell likes this.
  2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

You might hit up Connor O'Brien at 1A Tools. He has a magnetic solution that he's been developing for sale.

3. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

Thank you Graham, for being your usual super helpful self!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  4. Graham Futerfas

There are a couple of other options out there, too. The hard part is not having the bumps when you do the handoff... it will require some practice and luck.

If you're near England, I think Motion 24 has a Shot Dock system, made bu Grip Haus, that James Davis likes to promote. Thing is, I think he's the only one to have the system, and they're not really available to the public.

I have a set of Freefly Catch and Releases that don't see a lot of use. You could rig something up with those, too, depending on the shot.

I know Cinemilled was working on something, and I have another friend in LA who built a prototype magnetic release, but Connor's was well thought-out and he was getting ready to sell them. Not sure if he's there yet, but I think he's loaned\rented his system out a couple of times. It's nice, has a mitchell mount on it, push button, takes Gold mount camera batteries, and super strong.

What part of the world are you located?

5. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

We're in Montreal. I will ask Video Grande - they are some very smart people, and maybe they have figured something out, but also will look up Shot Dock System - great lead and thank you!

Also am very curious about Catch and Release from Freefly, which I had never heard of. Why have they not seen much use by you? Do they not work well?

6. Graham Futerfas

They're unique, that's for sure. I tried Frog Clips, but they weren't smooth enough like Freefly's Catch and Release.

I don't use them much because I don't often get asked to do a shot like this. They're really nice for what they are. 25mm only, so you'd have to use handlebars or tie them off to your Ring.

7. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

Interesting. BTW - If ever you're in Montreal Graham, dinner on me - on behalf of the Movi community in general.

8. Graham Futerfas

Ha, thanks! Hopefully get to take you up on that offer one day.

9. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

:)