/dist/images/branding/favicon

Carrying your cinestar

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Wolfgang Armin, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi all,
    I´m just thinking about how I could carry my cinestar (8 - with 360 gimbal) to more remote places that are not easily accessible by car (mountains, etc.).
    It´s OK to carry it for a mile or two, but from that upwards it´s rather cumbersome.
    I have some ideas modifying various available carrying frames (for pelicases, drums, hiking, kayaking, etc.) with cinestar spareparts, but was wondering if somebody already did something that would safe my time - and perhaps some money.

How do you guys carry your copters?

Thanks,
    Wolfgang

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Wolfgang:
    Sorry for the slow response. I think a lot of folks are away from the forum for the holidays.
    Casey at QC backpacks a hexa, I believe -- he made (or had made) a custom battery plate with back-strap slots.
    I've not seen anyone solve the problem that elegantly, though -- certainly not for a C8/360 gimbal. I can barely walk through doorways with my C8/360 -- always seems to wedge on something! :)

But you make a very strong case for hiring a young strong assistant! :)

Have a good holiday
    Andy.

3. Wolfgang Armin

Thanks Andy,
    I´d love to see that backpack Hexa. However, I already have an idea in mind using a wooden plate that I´ll attach to something like this: http://www.shopping.com/B-W-B-W-5-4016-Back-Pack-System-For-Type-40-Outdoor-Case/info and to the wooden plate I´ll bolt some rectangular wood blocks which will hold half a cinestar mounting bracket and a velcro strap. I´ve attached a scratch, don´t know if it gives an idea or not.
    I also have an idea of how to fix the gimbal.

A young strong assistant would please my wife rather than me btw, guess I´ll carry it myself.

I´ll keep you updated.

Guess it´s time to leave the computer now too. Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

Attached Files:

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I like the idea of the wooden plate, but be careful of (a) doorways, and (b) walking between trees! :)
    Also stay away from U.S. Transportation Safety Administration personnel. I think they'd get quite alarmed.....

Frohe Weihnachten und ein erfolgreiches neues Jahr.
    Andy.

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Not to mention if you have it strapped to your back and the motors accidentally start, it could carry you away! ;)

6. Wolfgang Armin

Wow, I would be much faster on location then. Guess I´ll buy one more cinestar for my wife now. What a selling point ;-).

Guess I need to attach a pouch to the wooden plate to accomodate some extra propellers.

Danke, Andy - same to you!

7. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi Wolfgang,

Next week Ill be in Tirol shooting.. I´m hoking up with a guy from München. He is a expert doing light (carbon fiber) bags for special things. He will look at my Cinestar and take measurements for a backpack. Let me know if you are interested..

Cheers
    Bo

Duane Bradley likes this.
  8. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

I'm sure there are better ideas out there, but I carry mine using a KUIU 6000 cubic inch backpack. I'm a cinematographer and have shot over 60 episodes of TV shows that involve heavy backpacking. I've tried MANY different packs in the last 20 years. This one has the best comfort to quality to lightweight to technology ratio so far in my humble opinion. The downside is if you try to pack it over 80 pounds the Carbon Fiber frame could break.

The Carbon Fiber frame and bag are sold separately.
    FRAME - http://shop.kuiu.com/2012-frame-and-suspension-p93.aspx
    BAG - http://shop.kuiu.com/icon-5000-bag-only-p91.aspx

The stock straps of the KUIU pack are perfect for strapping the copter on. I put batteries, Tx, video goggles, etc in a 18"x13"x6" case that slides inside the pack. I wrap the cameras in extra clothes and place them inside and at the top of the pack. Having the case inside the pack works great because it gets the CS8 away from my body while hiking. Only takes a few minutes to strap the CS8 on and take it off.

CS8 Backpack.jpg

9. Wolfgang Armin

Hey guys, thanks for the info and pictures.
    I´ve already built my frame. It does look totally different from what I initially planned, but it´s rock solid, I even think about skiing with it. At least biking shouldn´t be a problem. I need to get a shot of it to show you how it looks like. It´s made up of aluminium profiles and several cinestar body clamps that fix the cinestar to the frame. It´s pretty lightweight too. The downside is that I can´t attach anything else to the backpack yet, it´s cinestar only. But then again I never go alone, so it would be no problem to have some equipment packed to another bag.
    Cool, Bo - Tirol sounds nice I´d love to see some footage if you ever decide to publish it.
    Thanks again,
    Wolfgang

10. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi again,

Sounds great. Could you upload some pictures?

Cheers
    Bo

11. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Hey Wolfgang,

You may already know this, but when skiing or biking the propellers should be secured so that they don't spin while you are moving. Casey at QC was telling me it causes a reverse electrical charge on the motors and could damage them even without a battery hooked up....

: ) Ryan

12. Wolfgang Armin

Hi Ryan,
    wow, that´s important info, I didn´t know that. Some propellers where heavily spinning when I was carrying it by hand in stronger winds. I´ll do that next time I´ll go out. Problem is: when you fix it to the booms, it makes the whole system even bigger.

I found a self portrait on my phone - please excuse the bad quality.

It´s basically a frame of square aluminium profiles (20mm) fixed to an explorer cases carrying system (couldn´t find it on their website anymore). To the open end of the frame, I attached an L-shaped aluminium profile (20x40mm) and to this I hammered in some pressnuts that hold the frame clamps. I´ll try to come up with some more detailled pics next week.

Cheers,
    Wolfgang

Attached Files:

13. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I was getting a ride on a snowmobile down a windy mountain and this happened to me. The ESC's started beeping! I quickly turned the copter sideways to the wind and thankfully it stopped. Simple way to secure the props http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/protect-those-props.669/

Ryan J. Rowe likes this.
  14. Wolfgang Armin

That´s a great idea, thanks for sharing, Tim!

15. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

I have also chipped the ends of a few props after they hit things while windmilling in high winds. Frustrating.

You guys have some pretty nice packs for hauling the CS. My preference is a Suburban or Raptor. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ryan J. Rowe likes this.
  16. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Looks Good!

17. Wolfgang Armin

Hi all,
    I just took a few shots of the frame.
    Cheers,
    Wolfgang
    20130125-5O3A9915.jpg 20130125-5O3A9917.jpg 20130125-5O3A9919.jpg 20130125-5O3A9920.jpg 20130125-5O3A9921.jpg

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Wolfgang do you have enough softboxes in your studio? Nice backpack.

19. Wolfgang Armin

Can one ever have enough softboxes? ;-)