/dist/images/branding/favicon

Canon 5D Mark III Settings

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Bill Ehman, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Bill Ehman

Bill Ehman New Member

I just upgraded from a Canon 60D to a 5D3. We actually got decent video with the 60D but I wanted a full frame and it was time to get a 5D. We flew it today for the first time and when the recording reached the 4 Gig limit it split the clip at that point, (6 minutes) and kept recording.

My settings were 1080p 30fps, on ALL-1. This makes a huge file size so you reach the 4 Gig limit quickly. I have read that ALL-1 is better for motion than IPB, and is also better quality so I used it. Now I am wondering if anyone has tested both ALL-1 and IPB and noticed any differences in their aerial video as well as in editing each one.

I searched but didn't really see to much on this subject. When I used the 60D I shot on 1080p/30 and could easily edit in FCPX, or hand the files over to the client right off the card. Now I'm thinking that ALL-1 maybe is too big of a file to deal with, but IPB is inferior. Any thoughts?

2. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

I'm shooting with a 5dm3 and have installed Magic Lantern.... Workflow is a pain - but totally worth it :)
    Se the difference here:

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Bo, which version of ML are you using? And what are you using to convert/edit it?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Bo:
    What frame rate are you getting -- we tried 30 fps but even the expensive CF cards would cause a hang after about 12 seconds of recording. We found that 24 or 25 fps was OK, but...

Andy.

5. Bill Ehman

Bill Ehman New Member

I have not tried ML but saw that 1080p/24 raw is 5GB per minute, so you would need 1000x CF cards.

6. Steve Maller

Yes, the KomputerBay 1000x cards seem to be the most popular ones.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

We tried a couple of Komputer Bay and also the super expensive Lexar 1000x.
    Couldn't do better than 25 fps. Add to that the contorted workflow of RAW -> DNG -> Importing individual DNG for each frame....

Andy.

8. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi Steve, not sure, the latest version I guess.. Download the RAW MAGIC program, that will convert the files to .dng files witch I open in photoshop's raw converter. After that I use quicktime pro to do a image sequence. done.. But with my old Imac it takes forever.
    But after seeing the result I can't go back..
    @ Andy - I'm only shooting in 25p to avoid frame dropping.

Cheers

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Bo. Thought 25 fps might be the case.

Andy.

10. Tinja Virtanen

Tinja Virtanen New Member

Hey, I am having a problem on finding good settings for my MK III. I shoot mostly video and I have 24mm 2.8 lens on it. I was wondering whether you would have good tips for me which settings to try out. Also I would be interested what have you used for editing your videos? I have a Mac and it takes so much time to even download them on iMovie with which I have done the basic editing

11. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

How does the gh4 panasonic hold up to the canon 5d mark iii

12. Steve Maller

I use both of them. The Panasonic for primarily video, and the Canon for primarily stills. But I also sometimes use the Canon for video when I need to use one of my specialized lenses like a tilt shift.