/dist/images/branding/favicon

Canon 1DX/Movi5....Compatible?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Jim Wilson, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson New Member

I shoot Canon 1Dx and Nikon D800 bodies. The 1DX with a 24-70II lens is under five pounds, not by much though. Any opinion on how the Movi 5 might work with those cameras?

Attached Files:

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

It won't work due to the camera tray not being big enough to fit the 1D cameras.

Josh

3. Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson New Member

Thanks Josh. That adds another 10K to the equation :(

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yup, i'm in the same boat.

5. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

I haven't tested this myself but I've seen one video where the top bar of the M5 was taken off to fit a Canon C100. The same may work for the 1D models. You will loose a bit of stability but it should still work ok.

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You’ll be better off with the D800, but even with that one, you’ll want to use a light-ish lens.

7. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

There is a possibility that it might work. Here's the 1D with a 16-35 on the M5. Top bracket off but still pretty stable.

Attached Files:

Michael McVay likes this.
  8. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

We have had the 1DC and C100 on the M5 with no problems what so ever. Just take off the top support and balance correctly and you are good to go.

9. Peter Scudner

Peter Scudner New Member

Dylan - I'm interested in flying a C100. Glad to see you did and the guys at Abel Cine did too. Any issues? What lenses are you using? I know some say that the cage isn't stable without the top bar or the motors work too hard. Your thoughts? Any pictures? Thanks. Pete

10. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Hi Peter - I have had no issues with a C100 on the M5. It is as simple as removing the top bar and balancing correctly. It all comes down to getting the right balance dialed in and the M5 with a C100 flies like a dream.

Attached Files:

11. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

Its works fine with 1Dc or 1Dx you just are not going to get a wireless FF on there with it.

12. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Surely they must have added the top support for a reason. I was under the impression it partly had to do with only having one screw for most DSLR.s so the the camera in theory can twist in the position. I use Really Right Stuff L-Plate with my camera but it has too much vertical distance when put on the Movi. In theory I could mount a RRS clamp to the provided camera plate with two screws and then have an anti-twist. How are you handling this with the bigger cameras ?

13. Keith Soucy

Keith Soucy New Member

Hey Dylan, what stiffness settings have you been using for the C100? I'm using the 50mm1.4 and 24mm, and so far so good. Have you played with any other lenses that work better? the 16/35 is a tad heavy, but I have not messed with stiffness.

14. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Hey Keith,
    I find myself running at around 20's for over all stiffness with some small adjustments here and there. Have no fear with that lens. if things are balanced perfectly you will be more than fine. These units are sneaky and if balanced right can handle more then you would think. Hope all is well with you.

The fun part is working with the M10 and building up a full EPIC rig.

15. AlexBahena

AlexBahena New Member

I have a Nikon D800 with a 14-24 lens with no issues. I'll probably go with a prime later but it works fine with the 14-24 and I wouldn't say it's the lightest thing on earth, but it's under the weight limit. I did have to remove my quick release bracket.

16. David Lavery

David Lavery New Member

I've been using d800 with my Nikor 16mm prime. But also with my Zeiss primes, that are pretty heavy.

17. AlexBahena

AlexBahena New Member