/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can you save the M15 Batteries?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Trevor Rogers, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

So over the past few years "i was a early adopter of the M10" I've had at least 4 batteries die on me. The charger will blink red and one cell will be stuck at a low voltage like 2.7v or something. Is their anyway I can restore the one cell? Or is it just done? I've spent over $300 on batteries and now I am just down to 3 again. Used to have 6. Anyways was wondering if anyone had a trick they new to fix the one cell.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Not with the little charger that comes with the MōVIs.
    But even a legit charger might not be able to revive these batteries. And in certain circumstances, one of your dead batteries could become an unintentional incendiary device. So I'd be very, very careful with these. If you're not a LiPo ninja (snatch the pebble from my hand) I wouldn't try.

3. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

I keep them pretty safe in a heavy duty metal ammo box. So it could be revived by a different charger? Like what kind of charger?

4. Steve Maller

Many of us (including me) use this charger. If I was doing it (and again, this is very risky), I'd set the charge current to a very small amount and I'd try getting the iffy cell(s) up to a decent voltage, then try doing a regular balance charge, followed by a storage charge, followed by a regular balance charge again. Then try it on a MōVI and see if it works. I've done this before and it's worked. But I've also had a battery that got abused refuse to behave. I decommissioned it immediately.

http://www.quadrocopter.com/Hyperion-EOS-0720i-DUO3-Lipo-Battery-Charger_p_251.html

5. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

Yikes kind of pricey. Whats the advantage of a charger like this? am I more likely not to keep loosing batteries?

6. Steve Maller

There are definitely less expensive chargers. The one above doesn't even include an AC power supply. But something like this is OK, too. The key is to be able to see more data about your batteries.

http://www.quadrocopter.com/X1-MF-80-Watt-ACDC-Charger-_p_1566.html

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you have a pressure relief hole in the ammo box, Trevor? About 3/8" hole and then cover it inside and out with PVC tape -- if there is no such hole and a LiPo catches fire it out-gasses violently and you have yourself a pressure cooker bomb, I'm afraid.

Better than a hole would be a flame arrester barrier -- not quite sure how best to make one. I suspect fine copper mesh from a hobby shop (think Faraday lamp).

Andy.

8. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

Its an old ammo box thats isn't air tight. like one of those ones for like tank shells from the 40s lol. Here is a link of it. http://www.t-rofilms.com/diy-battery-box/ Not saying its safe but hey its better then just a pelican.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Now that's a real man's ammo box! :)

Andy