/dist/images/branding/favicon

Camera Tilt Ramping Question...

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Babiana, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Cinestar8, 2 axis gimbal, Graupner MX-20. When operating the camera tilt, it moves rather quickly. I was wondering if there was a way to assign CTRL 8 as ramping/speed controller. In other words, when centered and tilt down, it's running at normal speed. But when you decrease CTRL 8, it slows down the tilt servo allowing a slower smoother tilt. Possible/Impossible?
    Any thoughts?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think you can do that Chris -- what I've been experimenting with is dual rate and exponential for the tilt control -- I don't think there's a way of using Control 8 to adjust those -- I've got a two position switch test to select the rate/amount of expo.

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It works that way for me. I get nice, slow, smooth movement near the top of the dial, but if I crank it all the way to the left or right, it moves more quickly. It just worked that way...I didn't do anything special. I have CTRL8 assigned to the Tilt Radian. Do you have a Radian, or are you connected to the FC? The MK connection won't do that I'm afraid.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Steve: Can you explain what you did in more detail, please? If I understand you correctly, you're using CTRL8 as the slew controller for the Radian tilt sensor, right?
    I got the impression (perhaps erroneously) that Chris was asking about changing the slew rate over and above just using CTRL8?

Andy.

5. Steve Maller

As I rotate the CTRL8 dial to the left past 12 o'clock, the camera begins to tilt downward slowly, and if I leave it at about 11 o'clock, it will do so until it reaches my pre-set limit. If I rotate the dial back to 12 o'clock, it will stop. If I rotate the dial to 1 o'clock, the camera begins to tilt upward slowly. If i turn the dial to 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock (or further) the rate of rotation increases.

All the while, it's also being stabilized (or stabilised, if you drink warm beer).

6. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Hey guys...thanks for the replies.
    Just to clarify what I'd like to do...and yes, I have radian. My current tilt is set to CTRL 10/SW7 (three position switch), and I'd like to keep it this way. What I was curious about is if you could predefine a tilt speed with CTRL8. In other words, if a certain shot requires a slower tilt, I could slow the tilt down using CTRL8, so when I operate the camera with CTRL 10/SW7, it maintains that speed predefined in CTRL8. Then set it back to 12 O'clock for normal speed. CTRL8 wouldn't operate the tilt, but rather set the speed of the tilt for CTRL 10/SW7.
    Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing. Heres a "cheesy" little diagram of my MX-20 as a visual.

Attached Files:

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Understood, Chris. As I say, the only idea I can come up with is to use CTRL8 to alter Dual Rate or Expo for the channel you're currently switching using SW7. The problem, though, is that you're fighting the "binary" nature of SW7. It's going to transmit just up/center/down settings to the Radians so you cannot get the finesse of control that I suspect you're seeking.

Honestly, the best way would be to transpose the controls. Use SW7 to switch in different amounts of Rate/Expo, with CTRL8 controlling the slew rate as Steve is suggesting.

I realize that's not the answer you were hoping for -- it's a bit of a kludge** I know.

Andy
    **Early computer jargon word for something hacked together and distinctly suboptimal, but which sorta, kinda, works. Pronounced: KLOOGE/KLOOJ.

8. Steve Maller

I've learned that there's an interesting way to approach the controls in the layout I use and that Andy describes. What I do is start the copter up with everything centered, then i set the Radians to mode 3 (as I call it...mode 1 is off, mode 2 is stabilize only and mode 3 is control of tilt). In mode 3, I dial in a very slow tilt DOWN with CTRL 8, then I switch back to mode 2 (which returns my camera to level), then I turn it to mode 1 (off) for takeoff.

Once airborne, I switch to mode 2, and when I want a slow pan down, I switch to mode 3, and the gimbal slowly rotates downward. All this is sub-optimal, as I'm trying to do a one-man operation, and I've yet to figure out how to use all 10 fingers in a way that lets me do the work of two people.

Truth be told, I'm curious about whether folks have experimented with foot pedals, because I am an old Rush fan, and I'd love to go all Geddy Lee with my copter. But I'll stop short of wearing only socks.

But seriously, my best buddy is a guitar tech here in SF for lots of rockstars, and he's made some interesting pedal boards and the like. I'm thinking of getting a wahwah pedal and adapting it to control my gimbal's tilt. Wouldn't that be cool? :D

9. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Hmmmm...10 fingers...lol. Ok...how about just slowing the rate of speed through MK tools? Potentiometer/servo roll setting somewhere?

And one other thing (I'm full of questions today...sorry)
    When activating pan up and pan down, pan down stops pretty much vertically, which is fine. But when I pan up, it goes beyond level and stops at about a 45 degree angle pointing up. How do I get this to stop at 90 degrees so the camera is pointing dead ahead. I was thinking of rotating the potentiometer but think this would affect the pan down. Can potentiometer settings be changed in MK Tools? Again...see cheesy diagrams!

Attached Files:

10. Steve Maller

The Radian settings are all adjusted in the Radian software. Have you tried using that yet? It's a completely different set of stuff, and I think you'll find your answers there. Tabb made a video or two on their site showing how to do it. Be careful to follow all the instructions, especially the one about disconnecting the servos, and making sure your Radians are powered up, as their USB adapter doesn't supply power.

11. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks Steve.
    And no...never tried the radian software (it's never just an easy adjustment, hu?). I'll look through the videos on Tabb's site to see if I can find it. I'm suddenly craving a strong drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

13. Steve Maller

I'd suggest holding tightly onto your sobriety. You'll need all the brain cells you can muster for these things. :confused:

14. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks for the info and link Andy...much appreciated!
    Steve...the ole' brain cells are on maximum overload right now. I'd be in the woods if I swallowed a mouth full of mouthwash at this point!