/dist/images/branding/favicon

Camera balance issues when going Overslung

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by jim mundell, Jan 10, 2015.

1. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

When I mount the M15 in overslung mode (toad in hole is on the bottom as opposed to normal underslung with toad on top attached to handle) for Rc car , crane or other mounts, I find it hard to balance cameras because you have to rotate the tilt section around and the camera slide plate faces the wrong direction. Once it faces the opposite direction there is less ability to slide camera back. I have had to add weight to rear on cameras to get things to balance properly.
    I hope I am missing something obvious and there is a better way to have plate facing the normal way.

Have attached two pictures. One is regular underslung movi mode (my hand touching toad in hole) and the other shows overslung with toad on bottom (touching tube clamps).

Notice the camera slide plate direction.
    movi underslung.jpg movi overslung.jpg

2. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

Just balance the camera inverted.. and flip in post. This is what 99% of people do.

Dustin Poteet likes this.
  3. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

How do you shoot that way? Everything gets flipped? Picture, joystick direction for pan and tilt?
    Haven't see it that way when on Tero.

Cant expect every client to flip it in post. Usually just hand off footage.

4. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

The Movi knows its inverted, pan and tilt are the same from memory (last time i did it i ran majestic so im not 100% sure)

Otherwise if im wrong changing pan and tilt direction is very easy to do on any RC remote. I'd say the freefly remote also can do it.

Most cameras have image flip in the menu now, otherwise 99% of new monitors now days have it as a menu option.

Steadicam operators have been going into PoorMans low mode (not flipping the camera) since the digital arrived. Post can deal with it.

5. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

An update to my inverted balance issue.
    The reason I cannot balance my rig with a 5D3 on it is the FF rod bracket hits the receiver plate no matter how I mount the rod end bracket. Ears up or ears down. I can take the end bracket off but then I cant mount any wireless focus motor.
    So I either need to shave the rod end bracket or make my own bracket.

So before I go off and spend time I don't have, can anyone show me their setup with some kind of rod holders using a Canon 5D3 while inverted? Inverted as in built inverted and not just flipped leaving camera upside down.

What is everyone using for matt box rod holders with the M15?

Would really be appreciated. Thanks.