/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cam OP, Two sticks or One?

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Nick Adams, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

I have a MX-12 controlling a 3 axis, Radian controlled gimbal. I am having problems with my camera op not making
    smooth movements with the gimbal (of coarse its not my flying:) ) I have cranked the expo way up and it seems to really help. As I was testing, it seems that maybe its the way I have the transmitter setup. I have the transmitter in 'stick mode 1' and I am using the left stick for both Pan and tilt. While I have been testing this setup on the bench I found it incredibly difficult to pan and tilt at the same time in a smooth, fluid manor.

My question is this: if you change the controls so that panning and tilting is a two stick operation can you still add Expo to the stick that is assigned to 'throttle'?

Is the gimbal easier to control with two sticks?

Any experience shared with what works for you would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

2. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

My camera op asked me to split it onto the two sticks. That way he doesn't have to worry if his finger pushes slightly up/down when he's only supposed to do a pan left right. (I have the same MX-12, 3 radian setup).
    I have not played with the expos, he's happy with the way it is by default for now.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

The guys at QC set them up on one stick but its preference. My camera operator prefers them on the same stick. I think its a matter of whether or not the camera operator has a video game background. My camera operator likes small adjustments so not only do I have the exp cranked to 100 but I also have the slew rate on the radians reduced. You can use exp control ch1 its just more of a pan in the butt because you have to setup the entire curve as opposed to just adjusting the number. It's the function right below the dual rate/exp on the menu.

4. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

I agree thats what I was finding when I was trying to do a controlled pan and tilt. I think it may be compounded by the fact that
    the response at the center point of the stick lessens as you pass through it because of the Expo.

5. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

. You can use exp control ch1 its just more of a pan in the butt because you have to setup the entire curve as opposed to just adjusting the number. It's the function right below the dual rate/exp on the menu

I was not aware of that, is that the 'free mixer' Dave

6. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Sorry I might be mistaken. Looking at my MX12 I don't see it in that menu. I don't use my MX12 for anything right now just have it as a spare. I use a MX20 for the camera operator because I need the extra channels for the lanc control camera cable. In the MX20 its called Channel 1 curve and that's the function that adjusts it.

7. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Gotcha, OK, thanks for the clarification