/dist/images/branding/favicon

Calibration Issues....

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Daidone, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Ok it sounds like you are connected correctly.

I guess the next step is to see how the channels perform when you get the dongle.

To answer your question about the battery. Yes you can tap the power from the BEC from the main battery. There are a couple ways to do it. You could tap power from the PDB or the FC.

2. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

10/4... Thanks! I think with the current configuration, I would need to tap power from the FC. Any specific do's / Dont's or is it pretty straight forward?

3. Shaun Stanton

Chris

There is one thing I might have left out. You should have two connections from the FC to the Radians. One is for the 3 position mode switch which should be what is connected to your port 1. It should be on one of the flight control servo outs probably servo 3. Servo 1 should be what sends the commands to the Nick. Without the mode switch it probably wont come on line ever. So that might be your issue. The Mode switch has 3 position. Position 1 is off position 2 stabilizes the tilt and roll but you have control. The 3 allows you to control the tilt.

On another note are you at least able to get the copter started?

Shaun

4. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Ok. It looks like only one connection is coming from FC (see picture). The top connector is going to the Spektrum TM1000, and the bottom is what's going to Port 1 on the tilt.

Prior to the original calibration issue set backs, both the nick and roll servos would come online and conduct the normal boot up sequence and adjust to center.

Yes, I've flown it once the other day without the gimbal on it. More realistically I hovered it. It was late and I was in my front yard which doesn't provide a lot of open space. I just wanted the piece of mind that I assembled everything correctly and that all was working as it should. So I hovered it about head high for a minute or so, rotating it and such. I hope to bring it out this weekend and test attitude hold and gps.

Attached Files:

• fc.JPG
      fc.JPG
      File size:
      497.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Shaun,

Below you will find the software readings for both Tilt / Roll

Attached Files:

6. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

I have been just messing around with some inputs after re-reading the radian manual. One thing I do notice.... If I change the settings on the tilt, and write it.... it somehow also changes the values on the roll as well. Is this suppose to happen?

Another thing I see is that in the bottom of the diagnosic window, there is suppose to be a check box that automatically detects wheather sbus, spektrum...etc is being utilized. I have nothing checked off.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris you can only program one module at a time. Whichever one you connect to is the one you are talking with. While the receiver does daisy change the signal the programmer does not do daisy chaining. Perhaps that is what you are seeing.

If you are using Spektrum the only the Radian that is connected to the Receiver will show Spektrum and box should be checked automatically. The other daisy chained Radians will show s.Bus since that is how the talk to each other.

Also depending on your receiver it may need to have the 1024 box checked on that Radian which is connected to the receiver.

8. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

ahh. Thank you Gary.. That make s sense. Can you decipher why I might not get anything from the roll radian with the information provided?

9. Shaun Stanton

Chrs looking at your previous pictures,

Technically as far as the radian is concerned you are not using a spektrum satellite, because the command signal is the Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) coming from the MK FC. The checkbox you are referring to, is if you have a Spektrum satellite plugged directly into the radian for two person camera control. But your setup is Spektrum to the MK FC. The FC in essence is the RC controller to your Radian. If you look at the diagram in the manual yours is the PWM setup.

Shaun

10. Shaun Stanton

If it is connected to the tilt module it cannot read what is going on with the other module. This is the important thing to note, you want to read the module first and make sure it is acknowledging the correct module. The thing you will want to find out is which switch on your controller is controlling the modes. This is where I believe your problem lies. You should have another servo wire going to from the FC to the master radian. You need a 3 position switch to control the modes.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Gents the problem may simply be that you are connecting the Radian to the MK FC. That won't run the Radians. They need to be connected directly to a receiver. Can't tell from the photos or the thread whether you are connecting direct to the receiver. Can you confirm your setup?

12. Shaun Stanton

Gary,

I thought you can do it through the Flight Controller. Unless I am mistaken the FC sends PWM out, and you can assign servos 3 and 4 of the FC to output a pulse based off of the RC Poti channel you assign it to.

In theory if MK FC works the way I think it does you would assign Servo 3 for example to the channel of one of the unused toggle switches on the spektrum DX9. Based off of the radian manual you should be able to plug servo 3 from the MK FC to port 1 of the Master Radian dongle. Then you would connect the tilt servo that MK uses which is servo 1 I believe, to port 2 of the Master Radian. Then port 3 of the master radian would plug into port 2 of the slave radian. Then of course port 4 to each gimbal servo motor.

What this should allow for is Tilt control through the DX9. There will be no roll control. But the modes would be controlled.

I thought you could do it that way.

Shaun

13. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Gary check out post #24 That will show the connection from the Spektrum satilite going into the FC, and then out to the tilt radian. The tilt radian is operating as it should... its just the roll that isn't working.

Shaun, there isn't a 3 position switch setup. The previous owner installled an on/off switch. So when its on it goes directly to stabilization plus slew.

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I don't remember anyone doing that type of connection. Seem to remember something last year that it isn't the same as direct connect to a receiver. Have you tried it direct?

15. Shaun Stanton

I thought I had seen done before on here. Gary you are right Its not the same as direct connect and is more cumbersome. It should be a similar setup to the PWM method in the radian manual. The MK FC is acting like the spektrum AR8000 dongle that sends individual PWM signals to the servos inputs.

If is system turns on directly to the stabilized slew mode he should have control of the tilt. He will have no control of the roll. It is not the most ideal way to connect it. There does seem to be a provision for using the PWM signals at least for the tilt module. Not having a way to control the modes is not ideal IMO, there are several times we have flown and had to cycle the 3 mode switch and reset the gimbal in the air.

Unfortunately spektrum is not as robust as the graupner in that you cant control multiple receivers. The only way possible with his radio would be to figure out how to pass the signals independently through the MK.

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Shaun you can use multiple receivers with Spektrum. Folks are doing it on the MoVI. Satellites and a receiver work for sure. Would need to test if you can use two regular recievers. Also Futaba can mind multiple receivers.

17. Shaun Stanton

Yeah I know you can bind multiple satellites to a receiver. I thought this was only for signal redundancy where the system communicates to the strongest satellite. I cant seem to find anything that allows two independent satellites to be controlled simultaneously, unless I am missing something.

I know Futaba can do this but I cant seem to find anything in my DX8 manual that allows for it. If it can that would be cool. I use a two person setup so my gimbal has a satellite bound to a seperate DX8 I never needed to have two sats to be bound on the same controller.

18. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

No I have not tried that yet. Regardless, even not directly connected, how is it that the tilt is able to work? Thanks again for all your help guys...

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Check the M10 threads. Basically you take an AR receiver with Sat attached. Bind it then remove the sat to run the MoVI controller and use the AR for other uses like triggering the shutter. Probably not documented anywhere but that scenario works. If you have 2 AR receivers maybe you can test whether you can bind 2. I only have the sat that came with the MoVI.

20. Shaun Stanton

Thats cool, didnt know the AR8000 would work simultaneously with the satellite once they were disconnected. I guess it makes sense in the binding process they are getting the same frequency hopping key. In theory two satellites bound with a diversity board would be controllable at the same time.

I have couple in a bench supply might have to do some testing. If the AR works independently that would make the setup easier to bypass the MK.