/dist/images/branding/favicon

Calibrating on site - twice...problems related??

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Michael McVay, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Today I was preparing to fly my CS8 and got all set up, calibrated and before I started the motors I mistakenly calibrated a second time. I'm not sure if this causes a problem or not, but all of my still images taken today have very slanted horizons. I fly a 2 axis gimbal with MK stabilization.

Is it possible that the second calibration reset something related to the gimbal or something else that may have caused that?

I also noticed that when preparing to fly at a second location later today after calibration I got the triple beep as normal and then got a double beep followed by a single beep. I think this all happened prior to the beep that I get when I get a 6 satellite GPS lock - but I can not say that for sure.

I have not downloaded and looked at the GPX files yet - just wondering if someone knew if the double calibration could have caused the slanted horizon on the MK stabilization or if the extra beeps were related.

A sample photo from today is attached...

Slanted Horizon Sample.jpg

Thanks!

Michael

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael:
    I have occasionally double calibrated and not noticed any problems with it affecting the ability of the Cinestar to fly level.
    Certainly, when it's reasonably windy, I find that the aircraft has to tilt over to maintain constant position, though....

Andy.

3. Michael McVay

It seems to have affected the gimbal more than the Cinestar. The gimbal is no longer level after calibration and because it gets it's stabilization from the MK FC I thought maybe there was a connection. Otherwise, I don't know what caused the tilting. I flew 3 times today and all 3 sets of images have the same tilt. Something has put my gimbal out of level after calibration now. Same issue if I put a level on the camera after calibration. The gimbal is out of level - and other than a belt slipping or a loose roll potentiometer I don't know what else could cause it.

Any insights as to the beeps after calibration? Do you happen to know if there is any documentation anywhere on the MK beeps and tones? Occasionally i also get one while flying that is a longer deep sounding tone and I think I usually hear that one again a second time shortly after. When I get the longer deep tone, it seems to co-incide with have 11 or 12 satellite locks so I thought maybe there was a maximum usable amount of satellites that it has an indicator for - but that is purely a wild guess on my part.

4. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Michael, I get that long deep tone periodically and am very interested in what you find out about it. I alo have calibrated twice w/o an issue. Because I have the radians, I don't follow the MK gimbal stabilization. When you calibrate your gyros (Top Left) and your ACC (Top right - once in a great while), do both FC's get calibrated?
    1:30 in the a.m.?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

When you calibrate the gyros, the number of beeps you get corresponds to the Parameter Set you have selected either via MK Tool or by using the sticks. The default is the Easy setting, which is #3 -- which is why you hear the three beeps normally.

I'm not sure what's causing the long beep to which you refer.

I did some Google search and there are some relevant documents:
    http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/NaviCtrl_2.0#en.2BAC8-NaviCtrl_1.1.Signal_beeps
    http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/Erstinbetriebnahme/Step12

I think these links above are only part of the story -- there have to be more pages describing some of the other beeps, but I've not been able to find them.

Andy

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Michael: It would certainly be worth checking that nothing is mechanically loose in the roll axis -- specifically the small pulley on the servo, the large pulley that drives the rear transverse boom, and, of course, the belt itself. It seems very odd that the gimbal is now so far out of alignment and consistently so.

Andy.

7. Michael McVay

Andy, the beeps I am referring to come after the 3 beeps that indicate the parameter set. After the triple beep there was a short pause, a double beep, short pause and a single beep (and ultimately the GPS confirmation beep).

Mike, I will let you know what I can find out about the long deep tone while flying - and yes, unfortunately 1:30am is common place for me to still be up working! Also, on the MK stabilization there is still only 1 FC - it sends a separate signal to the gimbal indicating it's tilt and roll angle so the gimbal can counter adjust (I think that's essentially what it does).

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Michael. I think the only way I'm likely to get a full understanding of this is to dig into the source code, but I'm on vacation right now and so I'd prefer to wait until I get back home... :)

You'd think there would be a complete list of all the beeps, beebs, and peeps, that the MK boards emit, wouldn't you? :)

Andy.

9. Michael McVay

Of course, no hurries on my end. I appreciate your help. Enjoy your vacation.

As for the complete listing - maybe we should start a dedicated thread or topic on it and sooner or later we would end up with a pretty good source for everyone. "The Sounds of Your MK"

In the mean time, I am going to experiment a little if I get the time. I think I will go in and look at the MK settings for the gimbal. Re-calibrate the ACC, initialize, re-initialize - try it on a flat surface an angled surface, etc and try to find out of there is something about the 2nd initialization that does something for the gimbal output.

Can you say.....MOVI?

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I can say MOVI. Unfortunately it's pronounced like "Please wait." <evil grin>

Andy.

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Better to say MōVI.