/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cables & Balancing

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Ryan Hawley, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

I searched around for two days now, as I really didn't want to ask a redundant question (i.e. one that has already been answered or discussed somewhere, so if it has I apologize)

Basically, Just curious what others are doing to ensure that things are well balanced when running a cable from the camera to a monitor, or the million other reasons you'll have cables on the rig. :)

For my last few shoots I have had a bare-bones setup with the DP4 monitor connected via the right-angle HDMI cable provided by Freefly. I have found that the cable, when attached, does not allow me to get a "perfect" balance, mostly with tilt - in that the balanced camera will not stay still where it should when you shift the tilt (as explained in Tabb's video). The cable creates a bit of a pull. It's minor, but enough that the motors work a bit harder then they necessarily should.

I tinkered and tinkered yesterday trying to find the ideal balance, cables attached, but never got it to where I could with the cables taken away. Any thoughts on this?; Or am I being overly picky on balance?

Thanks everyone.

2. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

It all depends on what you are trying to do ;)

Hand held I'd have no issues with a cable or two running upto the handle bar, but all cables impart some reaction forces on the gimbal.

Flying, I try and keep everything contained on the tilt tray with no cables as this gives the best results.

If you are getting footage you are happy with then I wouldn't worry, just make sure you are using the thinnest cables you can get you hands on.

Cheer
    Chris

3. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

Thanks Chris,

That definitely helps. I figured I was overreacting in a sense, but then - that's what forums / communities like this are good for. :)

4. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

You definitely want to have the lightest and most flexible cables going from the camera to devices. I use http://www.hypershop.com/HyperThin/Worlds-Thinnest-Most-Compact-Flexible-HDMI-Cable/ for the HDMI cable as its so thin and light that it doesnt' really impact balancing. I also run my setup with a Microphone cable, and a USB cable for follow focus. I need to get some right angle cables that are long enough for audio and USB but it still seems to work just fine and I can get balancing working well. Most HDMI cables I have see are way too thick, bulky and inflexible.

5. Ryan Hawley

Ryan Hawley Member

Thanks Nicolas - I'll look into getting a few of those as they definitely look like they would be near undetectable on the rig. Thanks for the help!