/dist/images/branding/favicon

C300 Camera Rail placement

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Len Peterson, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Len Peterson

Len Peterson New Member

Hi there, just setting up my Movi Pro with the original Canon C300. I just noticed in the manual it says to refer to diagram for best camera rail placement, however, there doesn't seem to be a diagram. There is for all other brands of camera except Canon. I'm sure I'll get it set up but I'd like to know what is considered best rail placement by Freefly. If you could post a diagram that would be appreciated.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Len, I don't have a C300 in front of me to photograph, but my personal rule of thumb is to attach the bottom plate as far forward as possible.

That means, if you're using a focus and\or iris motor, the end of the iris rod adapter should stick out under the lens right up to the first gear ring your motor needs to hit. Maybe leave a little space for the lens motor's knob to tighten, and you might put your gear ring on the motor one way or another to optimize this space.

This will allow you the most ability to slide the camera back and counterweight your lens, motor, and matte box. If you have the bottom plate too far back, you may not be able to balance the tilt without hitting the bottom of the iris rod adapter onto the Movi.

Because of the specific hole spacing in the Freefly base plate, you may have to place it one direction or the other in order to maximize how far forward you can bolt it on.

Does that make sense? The couple of times I've put a C300 on there, it didn't seem that tricky, probably because we were using lighter Canon lenses.