/dist/images/branding/favicon

C-stand mount for Movi M10 stand; cheap and easy.

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ben Huddleston, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Ben Huddleston

I saw the thread with the $300 Movi stand, and I thought I'd quickly share what I did awhile back and have been pretty happy. It cost me nothing but a couple hours; I happened to have this piece that comes with every Manfrotto Magic arm, so I had a bunch of extras anyway. I also have a few tools.

I have seen that there are at least 2 versions of the M10 stand, so I can't guarantee this will work exactly like this for you.

You will need this piece below, which is $12 from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5184-REG/Manfrotto_143BKT_143BKT_Camera_Platform_for.html

You will also need a drill, a 1/4-20 tap set with correct drill bit, and three 1/4-20 thumbscrews (mine were left over from a Cinevate thing).

[​IMG]

Pop out the fancy Freefly plastic cap from the top of the stand, and drill/tap two holes like this:

[​IMG]

Use two thumbscrews to attach the Manfrotto mount to the top of the Movi stand, as below, and you're done.

[​IMG]

I drilled a couple extra holes to hold tools in the top. I also drilled/tapped another 1/4-20 hole in the bottom and used the third thumbscrew in the base of the Movi to push back against the C stand. Works great!

[​IMG]

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Now I'll give you credit if you can figure out how to make a hardmount version, where the Movi can't fall out. :)

3. Ben Huddleston

Thankfully Manfrotto already did! I hung my Movi from an 18' jib last week with just a magic arm (and a safety...).

[​IMG]

Wolf Schiebel and Joe Hell like this.
  4. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Interesting rig.. What weight are your running with your MoVI?

5. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Honestly guys, Just pop the caps off the top handle and slide it down a c-stand arm. Most stable stand I have found yet.

6. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

Such a brilliant idea. Looks better than the custom ones being made too. So tacky.