/dist/images/branding/favicon

Brushless Gimbal Help

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Tristan Twisselman, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

So I am converting my 3 axis radian setup to brushless and finally got it hooked to the computer. I am confused as to the sensor mounting and which axis is which. Any one have a picture of the imu/sensor labeling what is the top and what is the side? Thanks

2. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

You should be able to mount it which ever way is easiest and then change the X,Y and Z accordingly in the Basic tab of the GUI. Here is a video to help figure out which axis is which...

Steve Maller likes this.
  3. Tristan Twisselman

I thought i have it figured out but i have to be missing something. I plug the gimbal controller into the computer and have it connected to gui and i power the gimbal on and the roll just freaks out and goes side to side and the tilt is pointing too high and not level and i have no yaw also just twitches back and forth. I am pulling my hair out with this brushless stuff

4. Duane Bradley

Start by disabling the outputs on two of the three axis'. Get the PIDs dialed in for one before enabling the next one. I did Pitch, Roll and then finally added Yaw.

Sounds like it could just be settings you're fighting. Have you ensured that the motors are all the proper inversion? In the SBG manual it will tell you which way the black arrow should move when set correctly.

Devin Card likes this.
  5. Tristan Twisselman

Thanks for the help Duane. I believe I have the motor inversion correct. One issue I am having now is after clicking calibrate acc. the red lettering telling me the accelerometer is not calibrated disappears for a second and then when it is done calibrating it pops back up and tells me it is calibrated. The manual is not that clear on how to tell inversion. Also I change the x and y axis of the sensor to get the arrows etc pointing and reacting in the correct direction.

6. Tristan Twisselman

When it says pitch forward. Does that mean the camera is aiming downward or looking upward. Also on the sensor, how do i know which side is x or -x etc. The side that the pins come out of, is that the bottom of the sensor?

7. Duane Bradley

In regards to the X and X- it will depend on the IMU that you have. I have the Elite board which is labelled pretty clearly and I was able to determine the orientation pretty simply.

Yes, I agree that the manual could be clearer on defining the directions of pitch etc. I take 'Camera Pitches Forward' to mean that it tilts down as pitching forward in a plane or helicopter would result in the nose going down.

As far as calibration goes, sounds like you're doing it right. Are you writing the calibration to the board after it completes? Also, have you done a really good 6 direction calibration?

8. Tristan Twisselman

I have made some progress. My next question while i figure out aerial tuning is what setting do i change if sometimes the motors will start vibrating and sometimes stop if i move that axis with the transmitter or if i hold the gimbal. It is a very fine vibration, not an oscillation.

9. Tristan Twisselman

What settings do i need to change if my 3rd axis/yaw has a slight side to side wag in flight? I got pitch and roll pretty good for only doing a few test flights since the conversion but can't get yaw as close. My i gain on yaw seems like it gives me the best results thus far at only .01. Is there some other settings i need to change to be able to bring up that i gain? Using GB85 and my current yaw settings are 10 .01 15 and power is 185