/dist/images/branding/favicon

bricked Movi controller during firmware update

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Robert Neilson, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Robert Neilson

Robert Neilson New Member

I opened up a ticket with freefly, but figure it's not going to be answered through the holiday weekend. Hoping to get some help here from anyone who has experienced this issue.

Was upgrading firmware on my movi controller. Installed the drivers, opened the app, plugged in the controller and the screen lit up. Went to update the firmware and got a "file send" error in the app.

No problem, figured I'd try using the UBS that came with the movi but instead of unplugging I ejected the controller in OSX finder and then went to switch the controller off. Stupidly I didn't realize that it was ALREADY off, so I inadvertently switched it on with the battery attached. Now my movi controller will not turn on. When plugged in via USB the screen stays dark, but a comm pops up in the app (though firmware install fails).

Anyone have some advice to bring this thing back from the dead??

#1 Robert Neilson, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  2. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Hi Robert, you’re probably sorted now but I had this and it came down to running the upgrade on a PC running windows 10. I’d tried it on 3 different MacBooks but that didn’t work. No issues when using a PC. This is what I had from support, not sure why this isn’t in the manual though!

A few items to check, for future reference...

• Make sure you are using the black USB/USB data cable that came with the MoVI Controller.
    • Make sure you have removed the IDX battery from the MoVI Controller, and that the MoVI Controller power switch is in the OFF position, BEFORE you plug in the USB data cable, and perform the firmware update.
    • Make sure the .BIN file is NOT in the downloads folder.
    • Make sure you are not running the app from the downloads folder.
    • If you have been using a Mac laptop/desktop, try using a different USB port, as power distribution will vary between ports, especially if you have an older Mac.
    • Did you install the correct (FTDI) Virtual COM port (VCP) drivers may be out of date. Please make sure by visiting the direct link HERE
    • Again, before you start the firmware update process, make sure the IDX battery has been removed from the MoVI Controller, and the MoVI Controller power switch is in the OFF position.
    • With the IDX battery removed and the power switch in the off position, when you plug in the USB/USB cable, the LCD screen on the MoVI Controller should power up using the USB port power. Please be aware that some older computers have USB ports that will not supply the required amps to power the MoVI Controller on. If you plug the USB cable in, and the LCD screen doesn't light up, that means the USB port is not supplying enough power, and you may need to either change USB ports, or use another computer.

3. Robert Neilson

Robert Neilson New Member

Thanks Pete. I tried it on 2x macs and my wife's PC to no avail, so controller is en route to freefly ATM. Hopefully they can bring it back to life!

4. Yves

Yves New Member

What was the solution? Might have the same problem...