/dist/images/branding/favicon

Bottom mount for toad in the hole

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Rick Gerard, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

I was doing a bunch of rigging the other day and had my MoviPro ring hung upside down from a C stand. I found that everything was easier to do from balancing the camera to changing cables to changing the SSD drive on the camera.

I have an extra Toad in the Hole mount and I am in the process of making a mount to put this on the bottom of my Movi Pro. I'll post pictures when I get it installed.

I think this would be a great add-on or even option for the MoviPro Ring. I can't believe how much easier it was to access the camera and all of the controls with the rig upside down.

What do you think? Am I nuts? What are the disadvantages of putting the TiTH at the bottom of the rig and running it upside down? I run it upside down all the time on my other mounts.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I'd love to see photos or video so I can understand what you're describing. Do you mean you flip the ring over so that the feet of the ring are on top? I assume you have to roll-flip the camera so it's still upright? I haven't thought to try this but I'll experiment this afternoon at my camera prep.

3. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

In effect, that is what happens but you can't just put the feet on the other side. I was hanging my MoviPro upside down, so the feet were up because of the shape of the hook I have to hang it on a C stand so I can change lenses and rebalance in the field without kneeling down in the dirt.

What I am making is a small aluminum flange that I can use to mount the Toad Male Adaptor to so I can still have the handle on the top but flip the MoviPro upside down in the ring. The top Toad mount stays there, the MoviPro is just mounted like you mount it to a Terro or an Alta top mount. It's so much easier to rig, balance and get to camera controls with the pan motor is at the bottom.

Photos probably coming Monday afternoon. That is when I plan to finish the prototype flange.