/dist/images/branding/favicon

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Shipping (and price drop!)

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Steve Maller, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

That's good news!

I'll get both since they both have their advantages and disadvantages over each other. Especially for aerial business it's better to own these two with some decent lens for different type of works.

3. Steve Maller

4. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I just received this camera. The global shutter and the larger sensor are both lovely! First shots show a clean and detailed, yet pretty smooth image. I think it's going to be a great aerial camera. I just wish it wasn't so beefy! Might have to fix that...

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Mine's is also on the way, can't wait to shot 4K aerial with this nice piece of camera.

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Tim, which lenses are you going to use?

7. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I'm using the Tokina 11-16 2.8 mostly, but also some manual nikon lenses. The 11-16 is a nice range for general aerials.

I got a chance to fly the 4K today. Too bad I missed the sun this morning, but first impression is HOLY wow OMG there's so much detail in the image and I'm loving the look. The global shutter is quite evident and so so refreshing to work with.
    I don't have a 4K monitor, but viewing it at 1080 it is looking fantastic, even with the dreary weather we had.

For everyone that doesn't have an HD downlink, I just received the Blackmagic mini converter SDI to analog and it works to convert the signal for the downlink. The camera can output either HD or 4K over the SDI, independent of the resolution your shooting at.

I'll post a short test ASAP.

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Here's the first test, for Vimeo rendered at 1080. Having a little difficulty rendering the 4k version for YouTube, because this doesn't quite do it justice.

Steve Maller likes this.
  9. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Tha
    that image looks great, what bird are you using to lift that camera? And what gimbal?

10. Steve Maller

Holy smokes, that’s a spectacular image. Wow.
    The other thing that 4K gives us is the ability to use Warp Stabilization (if you need it) without having to scale anything up for 1080P. That could be a real winner right there. Although your gimbal looks pretty good. I’ll echo Jason’s question above...

11. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Thanks!. This is my cs8 6s setup, castle ice 50, tiger 400kv, now with 500mm booms and 15" tiger props. The gimbal is a brushless converted CS360. I have the big pan motor, but still have the smaller roll and tilt motors, meant more for DSLR-sized cameras, however, it seems to do pretty well. There's no post stab on any shots here, and this was just a quick tuning.I think I can get it better. The gimbal has the high-power 6s alexmos board and indoors it heats up the motors pretty good! Outside in the cold they stay well below temp. I was surprised how everything in this system was barely warm after a 7 min flight. With two FF 9000 mah packs I should get 12 min under normal conditions.

12. Steve Maller

Hey Tim, what’s the weight of the camera AUW with that lens? Is it much more than a 5D Mark III with similar lens? According to the specs, the body alone is 3.75 lbs vs 1.89 lbs for the 5D Mark III.

13. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

The camera with Tokina 11-16 and filter is 5 lbs 7.6 oz. The AUW with my gimbal is 11 lbs 7.2oz, but I need to switch out the hdmi converter for the heavier SDI converter. I'm unsoldering the connectors now. Hurts to take apart a brand new $300 converter!

14. Steve Maller

So it looks like about 2 pounds heavier than the 5D Mark III. That’s pretty remarkable, really. :)

15. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Also, I just enabled download on the vimeo file. Take a look while the 4K renders and it definitely looks a lot better, but the 4K still is even sharper. I did add a little sharpness in color correction, as well as do some experimenting with different looks. Trying to get a feel for the post production on this cam

16. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I keep getting failures when trying to export a 4K h264. Anyone have experience with this in a FCP/ mac workflow?

17. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Steve Maller likes this.
  18. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Here's the latest project. I had some problems with the gimbal tuning and some of the footage was terrible. Global shutter and warp stabilizer to the rescue! Some time I will post a before and after, but this is an amazing camera for aerials just because of the global shutter. There's still some wonky parts because I was on an 11mm lens, but overall it worked out ok.

Password : topgun