/dist/images/branding/favicon

BlackMagic PocketCam / GH4 / RED Scarlet

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by rubenvanleer, Nov 14, 2014.

1. rubenvanleer

rubenvanleer New Member

2. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

They all work great. I choose my cameras based on the project, what the camera can do and how the project will be shot. Sometimes I use the BM4k as we need a global shutter for a specific look, other times the A7s because there is no way to light what we are shooting. When the budget is low we toss the BMPCC on. When we have a client who has a "no object" budget the dragon goes up. I also tailor to where my clients footage is going to end up. If web then its A7s all day. TV, BM4k no doubt (global shutter makes things more pleasing to the human eye). Indy film A7s BM4k/pocket. Client who demands the RED, RED. In all honesty the "best" camera I have flown has been the Canon C300.

Personally I would not put a RED on a hex. Period. One motor goes down and your SOL, also the extra stress on the ESC's/Motors will be tough on the rig. Not knowing anything about the project I cant say what will be "best".

3. rubenvanleer

rubenvanleer New Member

Ryan, cool info thnx.

Any experience with the GH4 in 4K?
    We need to match our RED-Dragon footage (on dolly) with the copter footage. Seems that a good grader (we're working with one of the best in Amsterdam "Joppo") can manage to match any footage quite well... So that might make our camera copter choice easier of course.

The location we're planning to shoot is Bolivia Uyuni. This location has already an altitude of 3400m (2.1 miles), we want to fly no higher with the copter than say 40m (130 foot). Any experience with high-altitude locations while coptering? Can a heavy octocopter with RED-Dragon handle these altitudes (as in lesser air density)?

thnx R

4. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Not much exp with the GH4. I have friends who love it and I plan on getting one soon as we have clients who request it. If possible the BMPCC or GH4 would be your best bet as anything bigger will require a large kopter with huge props to compensate for the altitude.

5. rubenvanleer

rubenvanleer New Member

Noted. Good advice. merci

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

A good colourist can grade a GH4 footage quite well which will fit to Red Epic but, if the high resolution is not that important and if you can get very smooth footage from the copter, personally I would recommend you to look into BMPCC. It just creates very beautiful images. The images are much cleaner when compared to BMCC 4K. (BMCC 4K has some banding issues which are visible at low light situations).