/dist/images/branding/favicon

Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera too light?

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Steven Flynn, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

Hey everyone. I'm wondering if there is a lower weight limit on the Movi when in flight? We tried flying a Pocket Cinema camera this weekend and had trouble tuning it. It seemed really sloppy and then uping the tuning even 1 click sent it vibrating. Does anyone have any input on how to get that to work, cuz the flight times would be the bomb. Any thoughts would be wonderful.

Steve

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Steven there isn't a 'published' minimum weight limit but others have reported having issues with the Panasonic GH2 which might actually be heavier than the Pocket. Don't think I have seen anyone post anything on using the Pocket either on land or aerial.

3. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Steve,

I have had success with the pocket cam on the MōVI, however in each case it had a fair chunk of glass on the front of it. I have used it with the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 + metabones f mount adapter, and the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 + metabones f mount adapter.

One thing I have thought of trying with the pocket cam is a spacer under the camera that picks up both the 1/4 20 hole on the camera body and the 1/4 20 hole on the mount adapter to give it a little bit more height, and may take out an slop/movement between the multiple lens mounts, however this is just an idea at the moment, as I still need to do the drawings and get them to a machine shop.

Cheers

Chris

4. Scott Strimple

While adding weight typically is not one of my first choices, in the case of the smaller cameras, maybe it would be the right thing to do. Has anyone tried adding wt(ballast) to the BMPCC or GH3 set ups on the Movi? Seems as though it would only make sense in these cases.

5. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

i use the BMPCC on my handmade rig, with tiger 8017 motors to carry a red, and it works perfectly. I do have a bit more weight on mine as i have the wooden camera cage and a Sanyang 16mm lens on it. So mine is about double the weight of the camera and a normal wide angle lens but hand rig and flying are not a problem.