/dist/images/branding/favicon

Black magic cinema camera for aerial?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by kjetil tønnesen, Jan 19, 2014.

1. kjetil tønnesen

Hello we have desided to buy a new camera for aouer drone,and we have been lokking for the black magic cinema camera,have anyone this camera ??

2. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Ive used it and it can be a bit of a pain. Balancing takes a while but flying it theres so much surface area I've had the gimbal lose its "grip" and the camera just flop. If your thinking the blackmagic route for flight go with the pocket cinema. I fly that one and its great.

3. kjetil tønnesen

thanks paul conto,how is this pocket cinema really i have heard many things about it bad and good:)
    how is the video from it,can it make proress 442 and is it diffucult to setup

4. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Kjetil,

The pocket camera is really good, prores 422 footage cuts in well next to R3D files, and its light weight, battery times are poor, but the camera is simple to use, just put some good glass in front of it and the results are very good. combine it with a movi for imaging happiness ;)

Cheers

5. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

The pocket cinema is an excellent camera but as Chris said the batteries suck. I have 3 and on a day shoot i probably charge each one twice during the day. When i run it on my hard rig i use an external 4S5000 that i run my follow focus on as well as that gives me good run times. I paired it with a sanyang 16mm lens and so far for each of my aerial and handheld shoots its worked perfectly. camera.jpg

6. kjetil tønnesen

thats looking good ,is the sanyang 16mm a good lens for areal?
    how mutch does it cost and will it fit straigth on the pocket like the panasonic lenses?
    do you have some shoots to show us ,i woud love to see one or two:)

7. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

The lens is micro 4/3 so a strait connect to the cam and $500. I have some shots so I'll through something together quick tonight to demonstrate it.

8. kjetil tønnesen

thanks paul
    i wil waith for the video,do you have it on vimeo?then i can see it on my 55" led tv :)

9. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

The new Blackmagic 4K production camera is very good, and I feel worth putting up with the hassles that made the cinema camera a no-go for me. The detail vs the pocket camera is quite a big step up. You can see my first test here. Download the original and the detail is pretty impressive, even on this 1080 render.
    The global shutter and larger sensor make it ideal for aerials. But it requires a different class copter and gimbal to do well and get decent flight times.
    I have flown the pocket camera as my main cam for the last 6 months and it's very good. Higher dynamic range than the 4k and good detail. The Metabones speedbooster is an essential tool, effectively turning it into an APS-C sized sensor, (same as the 4K) while giving you 1 1/2 stops faster on your lenses.
    For the pocket cam, you need a very good gimbal that doesn't have any vibration, otherwise jello will kill your shots. Something that really helps is the IOS in the panasonic 12-35mm lens. It's a nice lightweight lens with perfect zoom range for aerials, and the image stabilization works quite well. There are a few videos with different lenses on my vimeo page, but I don't have any aerials with the 12-35 just yet.

Steve Maller and Howard Dapp like this.