/dist/images/branding/favicon

BL Temps?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Andrew Goodwin, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Andrew Goodwin

Hey All, we are flying a CS8 Quadrocopter Kit, a serious upgrade to our droidworks 8 with av200. Now that we're all up and running with the new MK tool with xbee, we see a few things, and I was wondering what is normal:

1. Our BL temps run about 60-80 degrees celcius during flight. What is the normal range?
    2. When we start motors, some BL's on the list (in OSD) are yellow, then go white, what does this indicate?
    3. We seem to have one BL (6) that runs about 10 degrees hotter than the rest consistently. Is this normal?

Sometimes I feel like ignorance is bliss, as I know a lot of people run their machines without xbees, or check their flight info after, but I just want to make sure we're good here.

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

60-80* is a good number depending on what camera your flying. I fly in Phoenix and during our summers will see a consistant 98-103* temps! :eek: If anything hits 105* the flight is over and I land. I can't hover for more then about 5 seconds at a time without the temps hitting the low 100's.

I think thats just a slight interuption in telem which causes this to happen but I could be wrong.

If you have one thats running hotter the most likely means your copter isn't balanced correctly. The one side will be hotter due to it having to work slightly harder to keep the copter level. Suspend your copter from the center and see if it sits level or tilts to the side of motor 6. Do this first without the gimbal mounted. This will tell you if it's the copter or the gimbal. My guess is it's the copter since the gimbal rotates around underneath and the number 6 motor still is the hot one.

Hope this helps a bit!

Josh

3. Andrew Goodwin

Hey josh, thanks man, very helpful! I guess this is one time im thankful for the nice cool weather north of the border.

Quick question: have you ever gotten a 'bl limitation' error?

Btw, i saw your sandstorm flight. Balls of steel my friend :)

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yeah I get it every so often. If its really hot and windy ill get one sometimes. Copter starts to act all funny.

Haha thanks! I wasn't wanting to be in the air when that hit... just didn't get back to the ground soon enough.

Josh

5. William Johnston

Does it start off 10 degrees hotter? It could be error in the sensor.
    Does it pull more current then the others? Can you post a GPX file?