/dist/images/branding/favicon

BL 3.0 Cool board firmware update.

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Ryan McMaster, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

So. I wanted to put a short video together on how to do the BL3.0 updates on A bl 3.0 cool but I am having some serious issues. I can't get a TX signal in or out. And I get a funny feeling that the board is bad. its on 1.04C at the moment. The TOP BL's will not get power when using the prescribed method from MK. If I put the pins on the bottom the BL has power but won't update. On the even BL's I can't even get power in without flipping the ribbon cable upside down (Red wire oppisite). THe BL flys just fine but I want to update it. Ill post some pictures when I get home tonight.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve/Dave: You've updated the BL-Ctrl v3 firmware, haven't you? Did you experience these problems?

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

One thing that makes my head hurt when doing this is the fact that the Double Quadro boards are made from two boards facing the same way. Which is to say when you turn the whole thing over, the lower board (now on top) is actually upside down. I always have to tilt my head over to maintain orientation.

I re-did my little clenching connector last time, and the connection was quite a bit better. Once I got my touch back after the 2nd or 3rd BL, they went pretty quickly (10-15 seconds each).

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

And it's as if the guys in Whitefish are listening in...creepy. :eek:

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

6. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Jeff (and sorry for referring to you as Geoff -- the name of one of my colleagues!)

Andy.

8. Ryan McMaster

Jeff.. your video just read my mind (I was going to shoot it the same way). BL's updated. One of my pins had a plastic coating on it that a file made short work of=)

9. Ryan McMaster

So I learned a few things tonight.
    1. The BL's DO NOT like sharp connections. Take a small file to all the pins and file a nice flat face to them. This ensures a SOLID connection every time
    2. Powering the whole board can be dangerous (I didn't learn this, but know it from experience). If you can use the 5v jumper on the MK USB to do your updates. Attach the cable start the update and pop the jumper on
    3. DO NOT use glue, epoxy or anything else to try to hold the pins in place
    4. A fine pair of needle noes pliers go a LONG way, as does a jewelers file.
    5. Don't use pins off stepper controllers out of a 3D printer board you have on your desk. These pins have a plastic coating everywhere but the tip.
    I shot a little video of how I built my cable. Ill toss it up in the AM. Works great on the Cool BL and the Hex/octo Combi

Steve Maller likes this.
  10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ryan: While I can kinda see the point of #2, I note that Jeff does power the whole board. Could you explain the dangers that you see in doing so, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

11. Ryan McMaster

Andy,

It is a personal preference. It relates directly to #5. That board was fully powered for testing, when only one segment needed to be powered to make sure the stepper control was working right. Now my friends U print SE is totaled because he powered the whole board and had a small piece of fine wire create a short across a part of the board he did not even need for testing. Currently seeing if we can bypass that part of the board.

I feel the same way about BL's and I police my work area ANY time I strip wire (Vacuum, and a Loupe to check the boards for stray wire). That one little short could fry part of the board you don't need and the 5v jumper method only power specific parts of each BL, not the whole board so it limits the chance of cooking something off if there is an accidental short or stray wire on the board.

Either way is fine in all honesty and I have done both. Never use a LiPo though.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the clarification, Ryan.
    As you say, stray bits of wire can cause "interesting" problems.

Using a LiPo means that you have the potential (pun intended) to deliver a whoooole bunch of current. That's why I prefer using a current limiting bench supply. But, as you say, the USB Adapter can also provide a current limited +5v.

Andy.