/dist/images/branding/favicon

Bit Rate

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by David Crown, May 27, 2019.

1. David Crown

David Crown New Member

I did a comparison test with my iPhone Xs Max native camera app, Movi's App, and FiLMic Pro's App. I recorded a 10-second clip at 1080 60fps using the setting "Most Compatible", shooting the same exact object.

I downloaded the clips via Apple's Air Drop. I recently learned if you import the clips (via a wired connection to your computer) via Apple's Photos App (I'm using an iMac 5K Retina, running macOS Mojave 10.14.5) it will compress your files.

Here are the results:
    iPhone Xs Max: 23.27 Mbit/s - 30.9 MB Data Size (59.94 fps)
    Movi App: 22.57 Mbit/s - 29.6 MB Data Size (60.02 fps)
    FiLMic Pro: 54.70 Mbit/s - 70.9 MB Data Size (60.02 fps) (this is using the FiLMic Extreme setting)

Is there a way to change Movi App's Bit Rate to match FiLMic Pro's?

Results using a wired connection to your computer:
    iPhone Xs Max: 16.37 Mbit/s - 21.7 MB Data Size (59.94 fps)
    Movi App: 15.68 Mbit/s - 20.6 MB Data Size (60.02 fps)

Thanks

2. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

"I downloaded the clips via Apple's Air Drop. I recently learned if you import the clips (via a wired connection to your computer) via Apple's Photos App (I'm using an iMac 5K Retina, running macOS Mojave 10.14.5) it will compress your files."

I don't understand this comment. I just did a test copying from my iPhone Xs via AirDrop and via a wired connection into Photos, and both files are identical sizes (53.4 Mb .mov 4K 60fps). I see some discussion on the web on conversion of HEIC stills, but that isn't happing for me either.
    Could there be a setting involved?

3. David Crown

David Crown New Member

Hi Stephen,
    How are you getting the files to your computer? I'm using iMac's Photos App to import and then I move them over to a folder. The sizes are completely different unless I'm doing something wrong or as you said might be a settings issue.

4. Stephen Hart

For this test, I transferred a video and a still by way of AirDrop. Then I plugged in my iPhone and imported the same files into Photos from within Photos. The sizes I noted were as reported by the Finder and Photos.
    If you are exporting from Photos, your results will vary depending on how you export.

5. Warathanut Sukcharoenpong

Do not use Photo app on the iOS. The files are compressed. For Flimic Pro, you need disable saving video to camera roll and use iTunes to get those file out by plugging your phone to your computer.

6. David Crown

David Crown New Member

Hi Warathanut,
    Thank you for the information, that's what I'm doing when using FilMic Pro.

7. Stephen Hart

I'm just trying to understand the issue.
    In my previous test, I wasn't using Filmic Pro, just the standard iOS camera app set to video.
    I do have Filmic Pro, though.

I just checked out Filmic Pro's User Manual, and it has this to say:

"Note: FiLMiC recommends using the FiLMiC library wherever possible based on the following:
    • - Native video quality is ensured when using the FiLMiC library.
    • - The FiLMiC library is the only way to maintain the filename encoding from the app. If you
      copy to the camera roll, iOS will the filename to a random string of numbers and letters.
    • - Another concern is that the camera roll is a potential point of failure. When copying to or saving to the camera roll there is data in transit that if for some reason the operation gets
      interrupted (low disk space, low battery, incoming call, etc) there is a small chance of data
      loss."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More tests: I compared two nearly identical videos, one shot in Filmic Pro, saved in the Filmic Pro Library and imported via iTunes (about 15 seconds duration) and the other shot with the standard iOS camera app and imported via AirDrop (about 10 seconds duration). The Filmic Pro video uses H264. The native camera app used HEVC. The Filmic Pro H264 video was about half the size of the native camera app HEVC video. (That doesn't mean it contains more video data, of course.)

After turning on Camera Roll permission for Filmic Pro, I saved from the Filmic Pro Library to Photos, then AirDropped it to my iMac. It's exactly the same size as the version saved from Filmic Pro in iTunes and with no change in video codec.

So I'm still confused.