/dist/images/branding/favicon

Beta 1.5 + Alta + Futaba + Mimic = Crazy Camera

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Rick Gerard, May 3, 2018.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

So I updated my MoVI Pro and Mimic yesterday to Beta 1.5, hung my Alta from the rafters with the Movi Pro attached and ran through a balance. I did not power up the Alta. I checked everything. Fiz with Bush Pilot seems to be improved and everything looked normal. I set the MoVI mode to airborne, checked the Mimic and everything worked as expected. I have also attached a Futaba radio to control the MoVI pro in Dual Op mode. In the past, there have been no conflicts. The Futaba worked great as a gimbal controller and gives me the ability to roll my Sony A7 from the ground. I could switch to Mimic and as expected it would override the Futaba for pan, tilt, and roll. I did not fire up the Futaba in the garage.

It's now off to my local neighborhood flying field to do some actual tests. The results were crazy:

I killed the Mimic almost immediately, then set it to kill and brought the camera back to a somewhat normal position. You can see where I cycled through kill and then to off. It took me a few seconds to get the camera back to the horizon.

This problem was repeatable. I'd appreciate it if someone else could confirm that the Mimic + Beta 1.5 + Aerial = crazy. I'm going to do some more test flying in the garage this afternoon with the Futaba on and see if I can figure out what's going on.

2. Rick Gerard

I think the problem was caused by 2.4 GHz Futaba transmitter stepping on the Mimic. I could not reliably replicate the problem but was able to get it to happen once as I was trying different startup sequences. As long as the Futaba was on before I turned on the MoVI Pro the Mimic seemed to be just fine.

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  3. Daniel Riley

Daniel Riley New Member

Hi Rick,
    I'm curious if you have tested the crazy Mimic issue again? I have a few questions:
    1. Is it repeatable?
    2. Can you verify Movi Pro and Mimic firmware version numbers?
    3. This only happened when you had two Futaba transmitters running?
    4. This never happened to you on v1.4?
    5. Can you clarify your sentence: "...I killed the Mimic almost immediately, then set it to kill...".
    Thanks!

#3 Daniel Riley, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  4. Rick Gerard

This is a random problem completely cured by turning on the making sure the Mimic was on before I turned on the Futaba. The problem seems pretty random. All of my firmware and software is up to date.

5. Daniel Riley

Daniel Riley New Member

We are trying to reproduce your issue at Freefly.

This only happened when you had two Futaba transmitters running?
    Was the Mimic in "Kill" or "off" when it happened?

6. Rick Gerard

The foul up happend when I switched the Mimic to Mimic. It didn’t matter what position the switch was in on the Futaba. The MoVI only goes crazy when you try to use Mimic to control the MoVI. Kill and Off work as expected.