/dist/images/branding/favicon

best place on the rig for Paralinx Ace SDI

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by alain baars, Jan 8, 2017.

1. alain baars

alain baars Member

what would be the best place for the Paralinx ACe TX on the Movi Pro?
    Camera on the Pro is a C300M2

I am receiving it on tuesday, so I want to figure out what would be the best solution,
    not only riggingwise but also about powering the thing, I preferrably want to use the powering solution under the Pro plate.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Alain, there are several options, but I like to put my video transmitter on top of the cage. Before the Pop N Lock's came out, I was using a Bongo Tie, which also helped tuck the excess cable away. Now I mount with the Pop N Lock, but still have a Bongo Tie for the cable.

Also, when I adjust the cage to fit the top and bottom of the camera, I tend to leave the top a bit more 'flush', by leaving the excess side rails at the bottom, underneath the camera. This keeps the side rails out of the way of the transmitter so the BNC and power cables can stick out over the side a bit.

You may end up putting the transmitter on the other side, depending on your Roll balance and how you want the camera to sit in the cage. I also see people mounting the Transmitting inside the cage to the side rails with the Pop N Lock.

094A8244.jpg IMG_0385.jpg

3. alain baars

alain baars Member

thx Graham!

I did receive it today allready, so I am going to rig it, after some other work I need to do first.
    To power it, can I use the D-tap and plug that in the right sided D-tp underneuath the Movi Pro?
    Ave says 7-17 V

4. alain baars

alain baars Member

hi Graham, I can see you loop through yout sdi in and oout from paralinx to monitor,
    i only habve one SDI on the Paralinx Ace, so I will need to loop through the Sdi from Paralinx through the SMallHD,
    I think!

5. Rob Sandberg

Rob Sandberg New Member

When did you order your Movi?

6. alain baars

alain baars Member

a bit off topic but allright, I ordered it a week after launch, through a reseller in Holland

7. Axel Gimenez

Axel Gimenez New Member

I have mine (Teradek Bolt 300) mounted to the bar right behind the pan motor. I run a thin SDI cable to my RED and I use a D-Tap and plug it into the "brain" of the MoVI - 1 tap on the top there. Works well for me so far but it does not allow 360 movement of the pan as the Teradek Bolt hits the MoVI Ring. But that's not really an issue for me.

8. alain baars

alain baars Member

hi Axel,
    the 'brain', do you mean the interface or the 'wedge' underneath the cameraplate?

I asume you don't loop through cause you use the monitor of the RED?

9. Axel Gimenez

Axel Gimenez New Member

I mean the interface, yes. And yes, I usethe RED LCDfor monitoring. But the Teradeck transmitter can loop through if needed, i believe.

10. Graham Futerfas

Hi Alain, You could also just use the 2nd SDI out of the Canon C300 M2. It has a Record and Monitor out, I believe. Use one output for your transmitter, and one for your monitor.

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  11. Josh Park

Josh Park Member

I would put it on a handle bar, using 30mm pop n lock. 300ft of range on Ace gets cut down by so much. Your body will block a lot of its transmission and that's how your signal cuts down to like 50ft of range.

12. alain baars

alain baars Member

dear all,

just installed the paralinx ace, works like a charm!
    however, I would need the advice from a Canon C300M2 person:

is it possible to use the rec out as a sdi out?

I need the 'monitor out' for my either Movi monitor or shoulderrig monitor.

On the Movi I could, if there's no solution, use the sdi out from my SmallHD, but on the shoulderrig I use a Zacuto Gratical Eye, which has no SDI loopthrough, so I really woiuld like to figger out if there is a way to acces the rec out as a vidosigna out.

Do any of you has the answer?

13. Michael Jones

Michael Jones New Member

Alain, How did you end up attaching your ACE (TX) to your Pop-N-Lock? The little quick release plate isn't really aligning to anything on the Ace.

14. Graham Futerfas

If there are no 1/4-20 holes on the transmitter, you could try a velcro strap. The pop-n-lock can accommodate this with the built-in tabs. You could also purchase a Paralinx Ace mounting bracket.

Personally, I use Bongo Ties to strap the transmitter to the Movi's cage. This also leaves a place to dress up the excess cable neatly.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

What would we do without Bongo ties and duct tape, Graham? :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Graham Futerfas likes this.