/dist/images/branding/favicon

Best cinema lenses for flying Alta 8?

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Daniel Waghorne, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Daniel Waghorne

I'd like to put together a list of lenses for productions to choose from when we can't fly their gear for weight limitations of the craft, like when they're shooting Anamorphic. Specifically looking for PL lens recommendations as 95% of the time we'll be flying an Alexa Mini.

Any info is appreciated!

2. Daniel Waghorne

So I did a little research on my own, from the group of DP's and 1st AC's I talked to, these were the top cinema lenses I found for weight restrictions.

Zeiss CP.3: Overall best PL mount prime lenses for weight. Average weight is 1.9lbs, with only the widest lenses going above that. This was also the first lens out the mouth of three different 1st AC's when we mentioned weight restrictions. Average T-Stop of T/2.1.

Arri Ultra Prime: This surprised me, and these are the lightest of all the Arri lenses. Average weight is 2.6lbs. Average T-Stop of T/1.9.

Sigma Art Cinema: These lenses are actually used quite a lot more than I expected. Average weight is 2.7lbs per lens, and nearly all of them have a consistent T/1.5, making them the fastest of the light lenses.

Cooke Mini S4/i: This is about the heaviest lens I would go for, with an average weight of 3.4lbs.

I'm taking weight into such a big consideration as 99% of all productions down here use an Alexa mini, and with a base weight of 5lbs before the adapter you need to mount to the base pate, you don't have much wiggle room if you want to give the DP the most options as far as having a motor for focus and iris, along with a rubber clamp matte box.

Hope some of you find that useful!