/dist/images/branding/favicon

Beginner pilot settings

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Brian Merrill, Nov 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Brian Merrill

Brian Merrill New Member

Hi everyone. I was wondering if people change the settings when having a beginner pilot fly the Alta 6? Or any other things you do to make things easier for them? All I can think of is lowering the climb rate and velocity clamp as much as possible to avoid rapid movements. Any other suggestions?

Thanks...

2. Jonny Lee

Jonny Lee New Member

On a low to no wind day, you might want to lower the Pitch/Roll Angle a bit. This will save you a few props in a tip scenario.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You might also give some consideration to getting a copy of the Aerosim RC flight simulator (aerosimrc.com). It doesn't have the ALTA model, but it does have a Cinestar 8 which feels a lot like the ALTA. I worked with the author of AerosimRC to fine tune it to have the flight characteristics of a heavier copter.

Hope this helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Brian Merrill

Brian Merrill New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into that.

Somebody thinks it would be a good idea to use a tether. I'm undecided because I'm not sure what side effects that might have. It would keep it from getting away very far... :)

Probably the one advantage of that would be it would make testing of the UAV and payload simpler as FAA regulations wouldn't apply (or would be greatly reduced) since it was tethered.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think you may find that there are unintended consequences from using a tether -- in that if you take it out to its limit it could potentially drag the aircraft down to the ground.

Apart from a simulator, you might consider getting an experienced pilot to use the "buddy box" approach so that they can take control of the aircraft at a moment's notice. The phenomenon of control reversal is an aircraft killer (and known to cause significant harm to a pilot's underwear). Magnetic trees are another hazard not to be underestimated.

The next best thing would be to use a less expensive copter -- perhaps a used DJI Phantom -- as a copter-with-training-wheels. At least the dollar cost of the "unit of failure" will be less. Recalling what my flight instructor said when it comes to remotely controlled aircraft: "Never fall in love with anything you fly by remote control. You will crash it. It's only a question of time."

You might therefore consider the merits of getting a beginner pilots' crashes out of the way with something less expensive than an ALTA.

Hope this all helps -- I understand your concerns. Look at my signature block carefully. Been there, done that....

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert