/dist/images/branding/favicon

Before and after heatsink installation

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Patrick Weeden, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Patrick Weeden

Hey guys

Attached are the GPX files from before and after the installation of the heatsinks. I have 4 heatsinks attached to the FETs at the top and the other 4 on the bottom. I have ordered more and when they arrive I will resolder the motor wires so I can fit the heatsinks on both sides. The flight before (GPS00000) DID not have the camera attached (it was just a quick test) - the second and third file has the full setup (Canon 7d with 24-105 Lens). I can see that No 2 hit 99 degrees, not too sure why as everything is balanced perfectly and motors mounted straight and level - any suggestions?

Thanks

Patrick

Attached Files:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Patrick, based on my own experiences and that of other folks, the heatsinks don't produce a dramatic drop in temperatures as such. What you will see, I think, is when the copter is flying horizontally the airflow you then get cools the MOSFETs down faster.

So the heatsinks make air-flowed induced cooling more effective...but I found it was easy to get up to 92C if I hovered the copter in hot, high places (specifically, in my case, the Alvord Desert in SE Oregon).

Andy.

3. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Do the fan upgrade, it works!