/dist/images/branding/favicon

Battery power for C300 m2 and also C100 m2

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Tricia Burton, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Tricia Burton

Tricia Burton New Member

Any one know if I can power a C100 M2 with the Movi Pro - and not use the cameras battery-
    if so what cable?
    also for my C300 M2 ?
    thanks

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Tricia, the Movi Pro will have a 12-14V D-Tap output just below the camera, so any appropriate D-Tap cable should work.

For the C100 Mk 2, I think you need a D-Tap cable with a transformer\voltage regulator, because it apparently only takes 8.8V DC, and the Movi is 12-14V. Here's one I found: http://www.indiproco.com/regulation-cables/d-tap-to-dc-barrel-power-cable-for-canon-c100-24/#tab-2

For the C300 Mark 2, it uses a Lemo plug, and you'd need something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1277412-REG/lanparte_dt_lm_4_65_d_tap_to_lemo_power.html

Both of these particular cables are very long for the Movi Pro -- 24" -- so you'll either want to find a shorter one or you'll need to dress the cable neatly. You could also ask a company like Media Blackout to make you a custom cable: https://mediablackout.net/collections/canon

My personal experience with the C300 cameras on the Movi M15 is that I prefer using the Canon batteries because they add weight to the back of the camera and help counterbalance the lens. The body design of these C-series cameras is pretty light and doesn't put weight very far back, so if you have a small zoom lens, even a 16-35 or 24-70 Canon lens, you might find it will balance better with a battery in the back. Especially if you add a focus motor to the lens, or a matte box or filter, you may find you need the battery for counterbalance.

For the C300 Mark ii, I like the BP-A60's so I don't have to swap them out as often. I haven't put a C100 on the M15, and it looks like I won't get my Movi Pro for a few more weeks -- so you can take everything I just said with a grain of salt. Also, if you're planning to shoot Aerial stuff with these cameras and not just handheld, then getting rid of the extra battery can be advantageous, as long as you can balance the lens you're planning to use.

3. Tricia Burton

Tricia Burton New Member

Thank you so much Graham! - very helpful -yeah I forgot about counterbalancing the cameras - probably will stick to the cameras on board battery since I want to put a cine lens on - thank you again

4. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

Hi Graham,

Where did you hear it only accepts 8.8V DC? The specs I have for the C300 MKII are:

Connector = LEMO 4P 1B (F)
    Voltage Range = 11 - 17VDC
    Power Cinsumption = 20w

Also, I power the camera via a regular dtap to 4pin lemo cable from various battery plates without any issues? Hence why I'm being curious about the need for a regulator?

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Ivailo, I was talking about the C100 Mk2, not the C300 Mk2, when I mentioned 8.8V. Tricia had asked about both cameras, and they are apparently different in this respect.

According to the specs on the C100, and the two or three cable makers I found who make a D-Tap cable for it, it looks like 12V is too much. I'm not an expert on the C100 -- I don't know if I've ever used it, but I've seen it around.

You're correct about the C300 Mk2, which I think I mentioned would accept a higher voltage range and doesn't need a transformer, and I'm aware of the more expensive Lemo connector on it that wasn't on the original C300.

Thanks,
    -Graham

Daniel De Silva likes this.
  6. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

Yes my bad, I did totally misread your post! It was 1am when i replied. Didn't realise how tired I was :D

Graham Futerfas likes this.