/dist/images/branding/favicon

Battery for Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo Dual

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Nick Adams, May 15, 2013.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Seriously, has anyone had a LiPo fire when the batts were in the bag? I am curious to know whether they really help confine the flames or just boost the sales of Nomex fabric?

Andy.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You've probably seen all the same videos that I have. When a big LiPo goes, it's a pretty spectacular affair. I honestly can't imagine these little LiPo bags doing much if a 8000 mAh battery decides to commit hari-kari.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

On the other hand:

Andy.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Andy, that's impressive, but that's a 2200mAh battery. I wonder what a 8000 or 10000 would do in that bag.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And the Polysafe's don't seem to be around anymore. I use bags, but not all the time. I did see something in the Polysafe that looks better. Mine, Lio Guard, has a single fold over velcro flap. What I saw on the Polysafe was an inner velcro pari and then the foldover. Mine would likely get out the sides as in the el cheapo version.

Which brings up the question, other than dragging it into a handy steel bucket of sand with more sand handy to pour over the top, what if any fire extinguisher agent might put it out? If that were even possible.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good question, Steve.
    I'm not sure it would burn hotter, but it would certainly burn longer.

Andy

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Looks like the Copper based one is the one to get for lithium fires. Even more expensive.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

For those kind of prices I think you could buy a lot of Army Surplus ammo cases -- which seems to be the hot favorite (bad choice of words) for protective enclosures for LiPo. Just try travel to Canada or flying in the USA with those....nope, nothing suspicious here....

Andy

10. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Would a Hyperion temperature sensor prevent a fire? stopping the charge at a low degree?

If it prevents the fire by heat sense, would you need a bag if the charger shuts off?

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Zach that's a pretty good idea. Here's the part number but I only saw someone international that had them in stock. Shipping was 2x the price of the sensor. HP-EOS12-SEN

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Andy, come on. You know you want to be the only kid on the block with a Class D Copper powder 30# fire extinguisher.....

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I don't need another one. :)

Andy.

15. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Thanks Gary for the link, just ordered a few. Now I can sleep next to the charger :eek:

16. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Started a few charges with the paraboard. Charging 1200 QCs at different voltages (within 10% of each other).

How long should I leave the batteries sit before the beginning the charge, to equalize the power between all the cells?

I noticed if you start charing right away, it'll be very innaccurate when measuring to my desired voltage, in this case it was set to storage charge.

However... now that I have a equalized voltage between all the cells, if I charge to store and the hyperion begins discharging, it will undershoot the voltage by 20%. If it charges the batteries it will overshoot the storage voltage by 20%.

First test was with 4 QC1200s, second test was with 3 QC1200s.

Any idea?

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's a good question and one to which I have absolutely no answer. I would speculate about a minute or so, or until the wires stop glowing, whichever occurs first. :)

Charing? Please tell me you meant "charging." I don't like the idea of "charring" :)

Do you ever have that feeling that you're the first person on the planet to either (a) try something or (b) have this particular problem? :) The second one happens to me a lot -- but the first one is, I suspect, something that's happening to you -- I'm afraid you're out on the bleeding edge now Zach, so I much appreciate your comments on this. It's new information for me.

Andy.

18. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Makes me nervous charging a 8,000 to full capacity if it can't get the storage charge right. Ka-boom!

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If you charge at 1C, you will not go far wrong, Zach.
    Also, as for the in-rush current of when you're connecting up to a parallel charging board, if you don't have an ammeter, see if you can borrow one and measure the in-rush current -- my guess is that the batteries will equilibrate within a minute, but I confess I've not actually measured it.

Andy.

20. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

My last deployment I took the two Hawker 12V 120AH batteries from our hummv we left. I can charge my 4cell packs, I fly with 4x 4S5500, all day. Early would I have to switch to the second battery to charge but I always bring both in case I need to. I just go home and put it on a car battery charger I got from Walmart. It works great except one problem, weight. The darn things weight about 100lbs each!