/dist/images/branding/favicon

Battery C question

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gary Haynes, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

So if you have a choice of two batteries, example 2 5S 5000mah, same brand and one is a 25-50C rating and the other is a 35-70C and the price is the same is there an advantage to buying the higher C rating battery? If so what are those advantages? I understand C ratings but not whether their is any advantages to higher ratings, assuming that the flight setup does fine the 25C batteries and doesn't require anything higher.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Beware manufacturers' claims. Watch Thiago's videos (Drones4U) and see how OCD he is about testing batteries. I had a friend last weekend lose his quad in a river when his "new" battery went dead after 45 seconds.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Based on my research, Gary, I'd go for the higher C rating just so that I know the additional power is available if the copter needs it and the voltage will not sag at higher discharge rates.

@Steve: Brave soul to put a new battery on and go fly out over water. When it comes to LiPo's it's "distrust and verify!"
    Also a powerful argument for using dual batteries. If one goes bye-bye the other should get the bird home.

Andy.

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yup! Thats why I built my CS8 HL with dual battery so even if the connection between the Power distro and a battery gets severed I still will have the other battery to get it back.

Josh

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

So I take it you folks are not doing "Y" splitters from the battery leads, but are soldering on a second set of connectors for the second battery? I guess the MK telemetry knows there's 4S (or 5S or 6S) worth of voltage, and doesn't care how many batteries it takes to get there, or if there are multiple batteries in parallel, right?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Steve:

I'm not sure what Josh and Tabb do, but I use an EC-5 Y-cable from Progressive RC (I tried to make my own, but it just wasn't pretty enough to make me feel comfortable with it).

You're right as far as the MK FC board is concerned. The flight battery voltage is fed directly to an analogue to digital converter pin on the CPU, so it just sees the voltage without knowing anything else.

Andy.