/dist/images/branding/favicon

Batteries are not charging

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Giles Harvey, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Giles Harvey

Giles Harvey New Member

Hi All,

my charger (second time being used) is not showing a solid red light in the charge status it stays on for 5 seconds and goes out and the 4 cell lights also flashing intermittently.... it doesn't appear to be charging. Is there an internal fuse that could have blown? I have another big shoot tuesday in the UK and am worried I will not have enough power - thoughts?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Giles couple of things to check. First using the battery tester what is the current voltage on the battery? You will see each of the individual cells and then the total voltage.

Any chance you can shoot a short video, cell phone is fine, showing what is going on? Pictures/videos always help in trouble shooting.

Are the switches in the proper postion, as shown in the manual, LiPo and 3A?

3. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi Giles,
    first of all: don´t worry! As a last resort you could always go to a hobby shop in your area and get yourself a charger and/or batteries. These should be "rather cheap".
    Other than that I can´t really help you for the moment because I don´t have my MoVI yet. But I guess others can chime in.

4. Giles Harvey

Giles Harvey New Member

do you have a direct email so I can send video?

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Sending you a PM but best to post it to YouTube or Vimeo and then link it to this thread. I'll be offline for about 15 minutes doing a quick test flight.

6. Giles Harvey

Giles Harvey New Member

Oh really? When you say hobby shot what do you mean? Like a model cars and planes shop?
    Thanks for getting back to me...

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok, it almost looks like it loses power. Video below. Please send an email to support@freeflysystems.com and I will also send information to some other folks. Also would like to know what the voltage checker says the voltage is on the battery.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Giles: Is there a chance that you inadvertently completely discharged the LiPo earlier? I've seen this kind of "reset-try again-reset" behavior in other vendor's LiPo chargers. There are ways around it if you accidentally did deep discharge the LiPo.

Andy.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Giles please check the voltage of the battery using the LiPo checker. Here's a photo of how to connect it. Note the orientation of the red and black wire. Once connected it will cycle through each of the cells and then have an all voltage. Please list all 4 cells and the total.

_DSC0050.jpg

10. J Griffin Ricker

I had the same problem - did you remember to plug in the 4 pin connector to the side? That solved my issue :)

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The video suggests that the balance lead is plugged in, but it's in shadow so a bit hard to see.

Andy.

12. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Sorry for being late. Yes, that´s what I meant. Depending on your location there could be quite a lot in your area. In case of batteries you could go with other mAh numbers (and fix it with velcro if it doesn´t fit), but the voltage needs to be the same (4s).

13. Robert Marks

Robert Marks Member

Hey Wolfgang,

I don´t have my Movi yet but as it uses standard RC Lipo batteries you can go to your nearest RC shop to get one. Seems like the Movi battery uses a JST plug for power, so tell them you need a battery with this plug (which is unlikely they have...) or ask them to solder a JST plug to the battery. If possible get one with a JST XH balancer plug! (please correct me if i´am wrong with the plugs)

Never deep load these batteries under 3,4V per cell and don´t store them over long times fully charged! (3,8V storage V / cell, 4S means 4 cells!)

Best,

Robert