Balancing The MCR With Moment Lens And Filter

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Pavel Houda, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Darell Sison

Darell Sison New Member

Honestly maybe you are right. This maybe me just making the most of obviously a much more expensive investment.

I will be using it on vacation this week, using an anamorphic lens with my tuned counterweight. Removing the weights when not using the lens method.

Hopefully i wont miss a lot of shots, or else i will certainly share your pain.

2. Jim Heitzman

Jim Heitzman New Member

I bought this for our special vacation to the southwest to tour 4 states for using this in hopes of putting together a nice cinema-style movie for my family. I hate to say it but I'm not savvy to have to keep running to catch up everybody because I have to find a place to sit while I am making adjustments, fiddling with this thing every time I want to change an ND filter or swap lenses on the go. This gimbal is not that kind of friendly, for sure. Just look above at what you have to do just to get an initial set up.
    This Robot might be good for some but it's certainly not for me. Don't get me wrong, the gimbal does work well, but at a cost. My time and level of frustration is not something I give up easily after spending $500 for what's been described as close to perfect just about anywhere you look, especially those YouTube reviews. Makes me think a lot are sponsored or paid to overate a somewhat OK product.
    I certainly bit the hook and well, after spending two days with it, I totally concur that at this price point for this product, it cries out too me that this isn't worth the money I spent.
    That's a hard pill to swallow after just two days.
    I might have considered keeping it if I didn't have to lay out the extra hundred plus dollars getting to a place where it was actually useable for me for items that I would say should be included.
    Freefly brags so much on how this design is so unique. But overlooked are things like like how the attached counterweight practically slams the vertical arm at the base when locked, no object or face tracking, the ginormous size and weight. Those I consider besides the high cost are huge failures.

Sure, it looks different and nice but it's not comfortable to hold for long sessions, rattles like a diamondback in your carry bag and the grip when everything loaded is so freaking awkward and come on, BOTH hands because its so heavy?

Not a wealthy man by any stretch and I consider my purchases practically as investments.
    And to just be honest, I'm ditching mine for the DJI Osmo Pocket, this thing will serve my purpose much better.

To me, this is like buying a share of stock that dropped like a dead cat the very next day.

#22 Jim Heitzman, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  3. viktor manshtein

viktor manshtein New Member

If you want to make a film according to the conceived scenario, then Movi is perfect for this, and this is doubly easier to do after an alliance with Filmic Pro. But if you need a toy while traveling without obligations and responsibility for the footage, then for this there are many more cheap devices. I have several devices for different situations, and it is convenient.

4. Dave Johns

Dave Johns New Member

I am also considering this option. More money spent makes me sad, but after a full day out and wanting to use various lenses, balancing on the run makes the $70 worthwhile... almost. Maybe I'll wait to see what an iPhone triple lens brings in the future... but I do love that Moment Anamorphic!

John Chu likes this.
  5. viktor manshtein

viktor manshtein New Member

If used regularly, then you can quickly get the hang of reconfiguring the counterweight, and this is not difficult, and takes less time than replacing the counterweight. In addition, it is also the extra weight that you need to carry with you.

Darell Sison likes this.
  6. Darell Sison

Darell Sison New Member

I totally agree, also getting a 2.5 allen wrench as prt of your kit helps. Those thumbs need some extra turn to lock properly. But you are right its not as hard as it seems once you get the hang of it.

Pavel Houda likes this.
  7. Dave Johns

Dave Johns New Member

And it seems FF has their gear on sale (as of 23APR19). 15% off accessories.

8. Chris_Bernard

Chris_Bernard New Member

I've found I'm much happier shooting with the Movi without the Moment lenses at this point. The clip on Polar Pro NDs (Not cheap but amazing quality) work great with my iPhone XS and I don't need counterweights. It's a great run and gun solution and really fulfills the promise of run and gun shooting, especially with the new beta app and Filmic support. I still shoot with my moment lense all the time but mostly photos or more locked down shots, either on a Tripod or handheld--which I'm getting pretty good at.

9. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart New Member

"This arrangement with the grip to the side is cute and different, but impractical."
    Huh. That handle is what sold me on the Movi vs. the various selfie-stick alternatives. It's much more like holding a "real" camera. All DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, and bridge cameras (and many film cameras I've had in the past) have the right side molded as a handle.
    My admittedly minimal use of the Movi so far convinces me of that advantage. My iPhone Xs on the Movi feels like using a real camera.

One alternative to the Hoody: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RZD2Y0Y?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image
    You could add almost any accessory, mic, light, etc., even an extended handle to hold the Movi upside down.

If an ND filter is an issue, why not use some ND filter film?

10. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

I choose my equipment by the function and performance, not by looks. The counterweight system is a poor afterthought and interferes with the grip on the right - not enough space, forces to use both hands to hold the gimbal, bumps the fingers, severely limits the range of motion, its complicated and hard for many to set up. Without attachments such as lenses and filters - no need - no problem. Serious amateurs or pros will attach something sooner or later and experience the poor design, slow and clumsy setup, bad location with respect to the grip. I am by far not the only one who noticed that.

The roll servos sticks too far out, being in the field of view of most wider angle lenses, forcing the placement of the mobile phone far to the left, way out of balance, forcing the use of excessively heavy and complicated counterweights. There is no space to use leverage to increase the moment of inertia without such heavy counterweights, very close to the pivot point. That is the price of not looking like “selfie stick “. To each his own. I like the mobile phone because it is light and convenient, so I would like to stabilize and be ready to use it with minimum added weight and wasted time, regardless of the esthetics. If I want "real camera", I will use RED or ARRI, not SLR.

Steadicams and Sachtler tripods also support the cameras underneath. They are hardly "selfie sticks".

#30 Pavel Houda, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    John Chu likes this.